Author Topic: Winds of change for Hisaronu  (Read 20901 times)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Winds of change for Hisaronu
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2011, 12:50:27 PM »
BM06 you are so right, and those little things that give Turkey an edge, such as good service, different cultural experience, great food, are either driven out or are all merged into bland sameness, delivered by an ever decreasing number of bigger suppliers.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2011, 13:14:44 PM »
When I go up to Hisaronu to get my nails done I often sit next to women who go regularly to the place. In May I was speaking to a lady that has come twice per year for 18 years.  I like Hisaronu for the beauty place and for the cheap shops. It's great day time, but we made the mistake of going up there for a meal one evening and afterward decided on a walk around the streets and having drink somewhere. We could not believe the noise and the amount of people trying to drag us into places.
We decided to leave and go back to the peace and quiet of Calis.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2011, 14:19:25 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Highlander
..it is at least worth a visit for a night or two, for a different - not a bad - experience. What would you recommend and why.

UBT - I was wondering if you could recommend somewhere in Hisaronu so that I can give it a try next time.

Must be a quiet bar, with a lovely view and soft background music, where I can relax in comfortable surroundings and in the company of friendly staff.

PS Mrs H agrees with you on the sniffy remarks issue:(

PPS Hope I've spelt everything correctly ;).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 14:19:59 PM by Highlander »

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2011, 14:24:31 PM »
Hisaronu's often referred to by locals as Hiroshima. Says it all really. :D

Offline screamlead

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2011, 14:52:12 PM »
......and the good thing about living in Kemer is we can take it and leave it when finished (Hisaranu that is!), as with all the resorts around the area. But agree with most money is the thing at the moment.
But tonight for the first time we are off for a look at calis for a while, having a sneaky look round for a bottle of london pride so i can harvest the yeast if possible so off to find cafe pazar - will report back later!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 14:53:00 PM by screamlead »

Offline Sleuth

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2011, 15:12:41 PM »
Unfortunately Highlander `quiet bars ` and there used to be a few here years ago in Hisaronu, but they lacked customers which equated to `no profit ` which mean`t `closures` sadly :( Everywhere around here,  most of the brits either want to hear  Tom Jones type of stuff or  any  up tempo /  type  english music :-(   and the turkish bar staff do not, and never will, understand the words `can you turn the volume down please`   It is a big problem here.
If you want what you are looking for in Hisaronu... my wife and I always say that  the best `bar` for us  is... on a balmy night .. sat on our terrace.. lovely view..listening to my music ...looking up at the stars and the mountainous backdrop... good company and a Brandy or two mmmmmmmm   beats them all  [^]

Offline Sleuth

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2011, 15:21:35 PM »
KKOB    you refer to Hisaronu as Hiroshima ..but much as I love walking to and around Kaya, and enjoy one or two restaurants over there...its  nice to visit, but sorry .. to live there with that solititude would crack me up.. not for me I really dont envy you  .. but each to their own .
Incidentally we were told today that even Kaya`s restaurants have suffered this season from lack of customers... soooo  many people walking around with AI wrist bands apparantly.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2011, 15:27:12 PM »
I wonder what Hisaronu lovers would do if they landed the job of marketing the place. Serious point and question - People should holiday in Hisaronu because...

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2011, 15:29:49 PM »
To KKOB - fancy meeting for a drink in Kaya tonight ;)

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2011, 15:37:47 PM »
Hisaronu has been in decline for a number of years. When we went there in the late 90s you would struggle to get from one end of the village to the other because of the number of holidaymakers. It has been a long time since those numbers have been there. Over the years holidaymakers requirements have changed and Hisaronu has been left behind.I am surprised that someone has not thought of trying to make the season longer. It has got some of the best walks that you could want. Although the weather is not great during the winter months it is more than acceptable for hiking.

In 20 years the basic structure has not really changed. Many of the hotels are tired and dated.The place became saturated with bars and eating establishments.When we first started going there the food was some of the best that I had ever tasted anywhere. Each year you now have this over saturation competing for fewer customers.As times have got harder it seems that the restaurants have increased their prices and served up inferior food in order to recoup lost revenue and profit.I can understand the shorterm logic of this because the rents in Hisaronu that they pay for their establishments are extortionate. A friend of ours ran a restaurant and at the end of the season he had to sell his car to pay off his debts. I do not remember the exact figure he had to pay but I did a rough calculation and he would have had to fill the restaurant every night of the season to make a profit that would have allowed him to provide for his family for the 6 month off season.

I am probably going to get shot down in flames for saying this. I think part of the Turkish mentality is to keep flogging the same old donkey.If it made loads of money last year, it will do the same this year,next year and every year after.Like everything else if you do not reinvest then you will lose ground and that is what is happening to Turkey.What I have written is pretty general but it does apply to many businesses but not to all and it is not my intention to tar everyone with the same brush.

The Costa Del sol has remarketed itself from the larger louts to the more sophisticated market.This is the problem for Turkey in that the EU countries like Spain, Portugal and Greece are now competing more agressively for the same holiday market.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 15:40:02 PM by Ovacikpeedoff »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf