Author Topic: Quick reminder for MB plate owners  (Read 9419 times)

Offline kizkucuk

Quick reminder for MB plate owners
« on: December 05, 2011, 10:11:30 AM »
If it's on a MB plate only the named owner on the registration documents is allowed to drive it.  Police stopping people this morning at Gunlukbasi - I am now the proud owner of my first Turkish fine .............. luckily they allowed me to go and collect my scooter rather than impounding it - the registered owner gets fined not the driver.  He explained in English that only I was allowed to drive it and luckily I had the sense to act dumb and didn't say - I know...............  still fined 290 lira with a discount of 15% if paid within 2 weeks  :-(

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 10:36:11 AM »
Wow, that's a lot of money.
Gecmis olsun.

I always assumed that it wouldn't be a problem if another foreigner was driving the car but apparently it is.

Spouses are allowed to drive, aren't they?

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 10:45:19 AM »
I am confused, I thought anyone with the family surname was allowed to drive the car.....

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 10:48:47 AM »
Turkish nationals are not allowed to drive MA, MB, ME etc registered vehicles (only on road test from Garage). Only members of family with same surname can drive vehicle if Registration docs are stamped accordingly
(box (7.2) Diger Bilgiler. "araci sahibi ve aile fertlerinden baskasi tarafindan kullanilamazon" must be stamped in docs)
or the persons are named individually on the registration docs if they have different surnames.
Then again, I have a minibus, and anybody can drive it!!!!

Foreign nationals can only drive Turkish plated vehicle if it is a hire car or they hold citizenship/dual citizenship.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 10:52:05 AM by Diverbaz 1 »

Offline corbindallas

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 11:50:01 AM »
Also don't forget to carry your driving licence with you at all times as this is also a seperate fine 166 TL.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 12:18:56 PM »
Times are changing - I remember being stopped on the Baris Mango highway on the way to a beach barbecue one Sunday morning. The policeman came to the window, looked then waved me on. I did my best "what were you checking" face and he did a diagonal gesture which signified seatbelts in any language. The four kids in the boot space weren't a problem then, the driver had his seatbelt on...  :)

Offline kizkucuk

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 21:28:48 PM »
I was clearly told in English - only you are allowed to drive it - there is something written in Turkish on the documents to say that.  It could have been a lot worse.  At least they didn't take the scooter which they could have.  Then I wouold have the impounding and storage charges on it.  Spouse cannot drive it if they are Turkish.

Offline starman™

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 06:38:33 AM »
Lets clear this up.
On a MA-MZ plate cars, only the owner and immediate family are allowed to drive plus one nominated Turkish driver for which you inform the emniyet. Non MA-MZ plated cars can be driven by non Turkish nationals and doesnt have to be hire car or be a dual citizen. That bit is rubbish as I have been driving a non misafir plate car for almost 20 years and so has my wife and 100s of others I know.

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 06:59:09 AM »
quote:
Non MA-MZ plated cars can be driven by non Turkish nationals and doesnt have to be hire car or be a dual citizen. That bit is rubbish as I have been driving a non misafir plate car for almost 20 years and so has my wife and 100s of others I know

So why bother with MA-MZ plates??

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 07:19:37 AM »
You say about MB plate only what about ME plate.[?]

quote:
Originally posted by kizkucuk

If it's on a MB plate only the named owner on the registration documents is allowed to drive it.  Police stopping people this morning at Gunlukbasi - I am now the proud owner of my first Turkish fine .............. luckily they allowed me to go and collect my scooter rather than impounding it - the registered owner gets fined not the driver.  He explained in English that only I was allowed to drive it and luckily I had the sense to act dumb and didn't say - I know...............  still fined 290 lira with a discount of 15% if paid within 2 weeks  :-(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf