Author Topic: Too expensive  (Read 5646 times)

Offline Ray1951

Too expensive
« on: February 25, 2012, 22:49:53 PM »
After listening to me go on about Calis and Turkey in general, two friends came to Calis last summer. They loved it so much that they booked a hotel for the first two weeks in June this year, paying £100 deposit. I have just had an e-mail from them saying that despite being impressed with Calis, the cost of flights was totally unreasonable and they have booked a two week holiday elsewhere for less than the return flight to Dalaman.  Even if they lose the deposit they say their alternative choice is better value. I too think that the cost of flight will have an impact on people coming here on holiday.  :(

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Too expensive
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 23:16:33 PM »
Yes definitely Ray - I said in a previous topic that I fear for Calis this coming season. We are not having our main holiday there this year, I got 4 flights to Portugal for way less than the price for 2 flights to Dalaman. The pull of "outside the eurozone" isn't great anymore, Spain, Greece etc now realise they had it too good too long and are now offering much better value. Plus the loss of favourite low cost airlines like Aegean doesn't affect them. It did affect Turkey greatly, I am sure Easyjet, Thomas Cook etc were dancing in celebration at the news of their demise - before rushing to reset their Bodrum and Dalaman flight prices upwards.

I remember some fairly poor years for the area, but I think 2012 might break all records, sadly.

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Too expensive
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 23:52:11 PM »
I think when Aegean went tits up, the other carriers took advantage and charged extortionate rates. Myself and others like lambs to the slaughter paid those prices and now we are stuck with them. Maybe a poor season will be a wake up call ?

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Too expensive
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 00:42:51 AM »
Just such a shame that poor old Turkey has to suffer cos of greedy airlines whacking their prices up in the hope of jumping on the band wagon.I rememeber seeing your comparison chart Keith with I belive Easy jet for a family of four, when our boys were small we used to go to Minorca to a gorgoeus family complex with a kids club cant recall how much we paid each hol but I believe must have been reasonable as hubby is Scottish (only joking!) well he is Scottish but would not have paid excessively for a holiday but still always had a fab time and dont think we paid anythink like fr example what airlines are asking now for a self catering hol for a family :o

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Too expensive
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 01:07:13 AM »
Well that's the point I think - people now still look for their destination based on value for money - and Turkey once was the home of value for money and this year isn't, mainly down to the air fare part of the cost - but also the days of a packet of fags or a pint for a quid and a three course meal for a fiver are long gone too. All these things add up. I hear how Spain is shockingly expensive, trust me they could teach most Calis restaurants a thing or two on how to fill their tables and make good money and all without charging the Earth.

I know the pull of the place and how a good number of people will find a way to get there if they need to, but most people don't. Most British people in fact have never been to Turkey, and many people who have first went there because it was cheap. It is converting those who haven't into those who will because of the value that turned the machine I think. So this year, the year when more than ever people are looking for somewhere cheap - Turkey is heading off the scale.

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
Too expensive
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 01:35:17 AM »
We flew with Jet 2 last year and it cost a bit more but worth it for times and comfort.  
This year we could get a holiday for less than the flights and if we have to use TC so be it.
Flight times are not as good either.

Offline Sleuth

Too expensive
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 07:02:56 AM »
Its the `english only` resorts that will suffer, not Turkey in itself. Russian tourists are the new `kids on the block` followed by more Dutch and German visitors this season to Turkey. Times are changing... This area Hisaronu / Ovacik and Calis are predominently `english` and I fear its going to be a disastrous season for all the local businesses etc  who depend on english visitors. The local turks here in Hisaronu, bless em,  who are now beginning to get their premises ready for the season full of hope and expectation are like `horses with blinkers on` they cant or wont see the big picture.I will never understand some of the business `logic` in Turkey. An example ..three local turks here in Hisaronu have invested over 2 million lira knocking down some premises close to the centre.. to rebuild a night club.. yep another night club,  as if Hisaronu needs another night club ???? and after several night clubs and bars closed down here last year ???  Why did they close ?  because of lack of visitors last year. But maybe as always out here, someone comes along who thinks they can do better :-)  I am afraid there could well be two ghost towns around this area very soon :-(

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Too expensive
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 09:21:47 AM »
I think Turkey will still pull a lot of visitors from Scotland as we have always been used to paying a lot for flights (to go anywhere). I know that the flights from Aberdeen to Turkey are now filling up and they are not, and never have been cheap.
However, I don't mind paying the extra to have a holiday where I want to be and not get a cheap flight to somewhere I don't want to be just because the flight is cheap. I think we all might remember Toky's post last year when she went to Tenerife and did not like it at all and regretted not paying more to go to Calis.

Offline keng38

• Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow
Too expensive
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 09:24:48 AM »
i have always booked flights around march/april to come out during the school holidays.
The best I have paid is £220 the worst £250.
This year prices are currently around £275 all in although Im budgeting for £300 this year.(Havent got the money yet)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Too expensive
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 11:12:28 AM »
I too will continue going to Turkey as there is no where else I want to go except for one trip back to Malta in two years time for our 25th wedding anni that is where we went when we got engaged and after that just Turkey for us now. We are lucky as our children are grown up so it is just the two of us now to go away,but it is a whole different ball game for families who want a holiday with their school age children if they are not set on a particular destination,it is not just the cost of a holiday to be taken into account it is also the fact that for all school holiday dates the prices get whacked up by the airlines so yet again more money to be paid out.:(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf