Author Topic: Mobile WiFi router (not dongle or sim  (Read 5222 times)

Offline slartibartfast

Mobile WiFi router (not dongle or sim
« on: October 01, 2012, 16:20:11 PM »
Can you get something like these on Turkcell  (or Vodaphone for that matter) http://www.vodafone.co.uk/personal/mobile-internet/sharing-your-internet/mobile-wi-fi/index.htm

A dongle sounds  a good enough idea but is of no use if your device doen't have a USB port.  If you could get these GSM mobile WiFi router things here they would be really handy

Offline slartibartfast

Re: Mobile WiFi router (not dongle or sim
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 16:37:11 PM »
I guess Vodaphone do ! http://www.vodafone.com.tr/Internet/Cepte-Wi-Five-Kampanyasi.php

I just have to figure out what it costs, what it all means and if there is Vodaphone reception in Ovacik !

And I see you can buy a "sharing hub" to plug a dongle into for the same effect.  Need to do  bit more digging
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 16:55:02 PM by slartibartfast »

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Mobile WiFi router (not dongle or sim
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 20:55:11 PM »
I use Connectify Pro software on my netbook - costs £20 one off payment.

Then using a Turkcell dongle I can connect another laptop / an iPod touch and 2 iPhones to the network that Connectify creates using your laptop or netbook in my case as the hot spot.

Works well and if you go to the Connectify Facebook page and "like" them you can try it free for 7 days to prove to yourself that it works :-)

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 06:34:36 AM »
Thanks Ian.  That sounds very neat.  I am downloading now to give it a try !   (More for other uses than the problem I am looking to work around here though !)

I am wondering if I can provide some form of wi-fi access for rental guests if they really need wi-fi. Getting a landline with broadband  sounds like too much hassle and expense as we aren't resident in Turkey. and it would sit unused for 6 months wasting money.

Guests may not have a device with a USB socket which is why I am looking a mobil router options.

The hardware sounds easy enough and not too expensive.  The next problem would be how easy it is for guests to top-up the dongle / sim card.   If I could do it for them online that would be a simple sollution .....but I read you can't top up Turkcell dongles online ?

Does anyone know which Turkcell and Vodaphone shop has an english speaking member of staff who knows about this stuff ? (rather than a member of staff who just guesses like in Dixons ;-) )

Offline wallace

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 08:49:00 AM »
I have a turkcell mifi dongle you can connect up to 5 devices and has plug that you can put the
the usb into, works great for ipads. Turkcell told me I could only top up in the shop but you
can top up via your turkcell mobile by putting enough credit onto it then texting
turcell so simple
but I 've left the instructions in turkey I will post when I return in a couple of weeks

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 11:10:45 AM »
Thanks, exactly what I have been looking for, now I need to find a PAYGO option. 

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 08:03:55 AM »
Thanks Wallace that's really useful

Can you also PM me when you have the instructions just in case I miss your reply !

Offline slartibartfast

Re: Mobile WiFi router (not dongle or sim)
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 08:09:34 AM »
OK so the latest on this is I nipped into a Turkcel and Vodafone shop and had a quick chat.   I am going to leave the purchase until next year but it's lookng promsising.

The Vodafone shop I went into said they wouldnt sell a MiFi Pay-As-You-Go as I needed a contract.  They would sell me a dongle for 60Tl.  The don't sell the router to plug it into (like Vodafone in the UK do for about £22).   I got a bit lost over the cost of top-ups but they said I could do it on-line.  I suspect a different shop might sell me the MiFi for cash

Turkcell said their MiFi should only be sold on a  contract also ... but they would sell me one for 210 TL.  You need a data SIM card as well.   They said I could top it up online also. 

The few things I need to sort out before next year is;

Be absolutely sure I can top it up when I am in the UK and the MiFi/ dongle is in Turkey

I have read on the Internet if you have a Finans bank account there is an option to do Turkcell top-ops using an option on the Banks web page

Get to grips with the cost of the data top-ups and how the credit works if it is not used etc (is it carried over , for how long etc)

In theory I might well have bought unlocked hardware in the UK (MiFi / dongle / dongle router) but the issues around them being blocked in Turkey unless registerd looks like too much hassle. If a donge is the best solution for me I can probabaly buy a dongle router in the UK without any issues as it will be the dongle itself which is the device hich has to be registered (I think )

Offline jackstee

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 09:01:25 AM »
The problem with using the dongle is that with a top up of 39th you get a very limited amount of download. When I had one we had to top it up every week just to watch a couple of BBC programs.
Now we have fixed internet, with a telephone number, it costs around 86 TL month. Now we both watch TV but different chanels and no difference in payment.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 12:49:57 PM »
I am watching this with interest.
I downloaded connectify (not the pro version). It worked an home (uk)from a landline but in Turkey it said I had to upgrade to the pro version to use with a dongle.
I would rather invest the £20 in a router then I would not have to boot up the laptop to act as a hotspot for the kids to connect to.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf