Author Topic: Septic Tank - cleaning products  (Read 7643 times)

Offline Blissy

Septic Tank - cleaning products
« on: February 05, 2013, 07:13:25 AM »
Anyone an expert in septic tanks?  Our loos and drains are starting to whiff somewhat.  What are the best cleaning products to use and where can they be purchased?  How can we get rid of the stink? Our builder said it was OK to flush loo paper as long as it's not cushioned.  He also said the tank would never have to be emptied - from the smell I'm not too sure now.  We are currently using normal washing powder, liquid and dishwasher tablets but I'm thinking this may be the wrong thing to be doing.  Please help anyone - muchly appreciated.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Septic Tank - cleaning products
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 08:11:27 AM »
We have had a Septic Tank for 30 years (U.K.).  Septic Tanks do need to be emptied, we have a contract to have ours emptied about every 2-3  years.   There is a soak away under the tank for liquids to soak into the ground, but solids will build up even when the tank is being treated correctly.  If you don't get it emptied it can overflow.  In the U.K. Septic  Tanks must be emptied by licensed people only. 
I use all the normal cleaning products but nothing too strong and am careful so don't use bleach excessively.   Septic Tanks work by bacteria eating everything, so if you kill the bacteria you are stopping the waste being taken care of.  I remember when we got our tank the guy told us to get a big piece of meat and throw it in to start the process off.
 I would advise that if your toilets and sinks are smelling, get your tank emptied A.S.A.P.  As an overflow will be very unpleasant and unhealthy.

Offline Blissy

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 08:36:14 AM »
Yikes! We've only been here for nearly 3 months and prior to moving we came out and stayed about 3 times just for very short periods.  The house is about 18 months old and the septic tank is cemented in on our path. There's only the 2 of us. It can't be full and about to overflow - surely? What do you think?

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 08:46:06 AM »
Open it and look in see how full it is.  It depends how big it is and how much cleaning products have been put in it, too many cleaning products and it will not work properly. 
Ask Engin at Fethiye Property Services, he will know someone who can look it for you, and do not believe your builder that a septic tank never needs to be emptied.  :o

Offline Blissy

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 08:50:47 AM »
Great, thanks for the info - I'll get my hubby on the case with Engin.  I have to be honest and say not much cleaning products have gone down but I guess the combination of washing powder etc and the size of the tank may be a contributory factor.  Thanks again - will note how we get on for future reference to others.  Hope not a huge problem though.

Offline screamlead

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 09:04:05 AM »
Problem is with septic tanks that if the shower/bath/sinks dont have U-bends in them you will always get smells coming out of the tank. On most there is an exhaust pipe too that should reach to the roof and vent the pong too. We sometimes get a pong coming up too if the u-bends dry out or are not used in a while ie bathrooms not in use etc. But when we got our place i installed new bathrooms and kitchen etc and made sure the lot had proper u-bends installed too. Been here 8 years plus and never had anything emptied - yet - as to do ours we would probably have to remove the downstairs loo to get at the tank. Nothing goes down ours apart from natural 'stuff' no loo roll etc etc. We also get given some sort of poison every year by the belediye for bugs and mossies to chuck down the loo drains too.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 09:23:30 AM »
I have never heard of a Septic Tank not being emptied and neither has my son and he is a Plumber.  I have also seen an overflow tank...luckily not near a house but on land behind it.
This is a good website for information.  The only bit that we have done that they advise not to, is open the lid and look.  However, our tank is at the back of Farm Building in our field, so it's not in a spot that has no breeze.
http://www.wte-ltd.co.uk/care.html

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 11:38:26 AM »
Septic tanks in Turkey are very different to those of UK, they are soak aways, however not all are, some in Ovacik, Hisaronu need to be empties as they are built on solid rock, newer properties are built to link to the sewer system, like some properties now in Fethiye Calis etc.. our villa was built 2003, we purchased from new and I asked the builder about the tank, and he explained they system to me, and we have not had it emptied and lived in it permanently for nearly 6 years.  The only thing we have to do is put bends in pipes and a few other plumby bits.

Offline screamlead

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 11:48:31 AM »
Yep agree there Loz, we have been here over 8 years now in a small turkish community and i have never ever seen anyone have their tanks emptied.
Hisaranu is different kettle of fish though - you dont want to be there in summer when they start overflowing and they have to come and empty them out - lol

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 11:51:33 AM »
I think I might put my lunch back in the fridge for now

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf