Author Topic: Is this true ? :-(  (Read 4124 times)

Offline Sleuth

Is this true ? :-(
« on: February 15, 2013, 10:30:15 AM »
I was told last night that companies in Turkey are being told by the government  to stop producing Turkish Brandy / Gin and Vodka ... I  noticed during the tail end of last season they were a bit thin on the ground in the local supermarkets.. if this course of action is true this will surely be another nudge to the demise of many bars and restaurants in Turkey  :'(  If they are only allowed to sell imported spirits ( brandy, vodka, and Gin )  who is going to pay 16/17tl for a measure ??  I personally enjoyed the turkish brandy but would never pay the imported prices... yet another blow to turkish tourism and one up to Spain and the rest  >:(  very soon I  can see Turkey being like Saudi Arabia and other arab countries where alchohol will only be sold in hotels :'(    please someone tell me all this is untrue or just a rumour

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Re: Is this true ? :-(
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 11:40:00 AM »
My moneys on this being a rumour, in part cos your list does not include Raki, and I'd have thought that being stopped would have had the masses on the street- which would lend this to the rumour.  I suspect that the shortage in supermarkets at the end of last season that you experienced was the owners running down their stock at the end of the season.  Haven't seen any evidence on the supermarket shelves of an absence of these drinks in the last month or so in either the big supermarkets or the local markets.

Offline Sleuth

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 11:46:30 AM »
Hope you are right   :)  but time will tell  :-\

Offline Jim Fraser

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 11:53:58 AM »
Also heard this story a while ago, the reason given was it was produced by Tekel (the Government producer), and if you are the Ruling AK Party and against Alcohol it’s an easy decision to stop production. Whether its true or not - time will tell.

Offline jackstee

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 15:38:09 PM »
Turkish Brandy has been in short supply for many months.

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 22:46:04 PM »
a lot of Turkish depend on the tourist trade i for one think it is a rumour

Offline calvin 1949

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 05:44:13 AM »
no slortage eer in Antalya ,Hic Hic!!!!! :P  ;)

Offline Sandrats

• Askam-in Furness, UK
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 18:05:16 PM »
Raki is, so I was told, classed as a food not booze - it attracts less taxation than other alcoholic drinks, and as a 'food' would unlikely to come under the same 'rumour' bracket would temper the Govt decision, and equally the mass rioting should it not be available might also affect their decision making process!

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 18:24:13 PM »
Turkish Airlines (51% govt owned) have just stopped selling alcohol on 7 of their routes; Egypt and countries in the Middle East and a couple in Africa like Somalia.

Offline Jim Fraser

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 18:57:57 PM »
Raki is, so I was told, classed as a food not booze - it attracts less taxation than other alcoholic drinks, and as a 'food' would unlikely to come under the same 'rumour' bracket would temper the Govt decision, and equally the mass rioting should it not be available might also affect their decision making process!

if Raki is taxed less why is it near the same price as some imported drinks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf