Author Topic: Getting Rich from the Poor  (Read 7982 times)

Offline Bluwise

Re: Getting Rich from the Poor
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 20:17:28 PM »
I would be interested to know what places like Brighthouse sell most of - huge plasma TV's, latest model tablets and mobile phones or essentials like cookers, washers etc? 

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 20:28:22 PM »
They don't do tablets or phones. They're easier to nick than buy.

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 20:33:39 PM »
They don't do tablets or phones. They're easier to nick than buy.
Big telly then - can't get that under your coat!   ;D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 20:38:35 PM »
I think he's pulling your leg, they certainly do phones, they were advertising the Samsung Galaxy S4 today.

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 22:55:26 PM »
In that case, is any sympathy for  those paying the outrageous amounts being charged misplaced?  If you can't afford to buy luxury items but your desire is so strong that you will pay hugely over the odds then that is your choice and the business will capitalise on it.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 23:11:06 PM »
You would hope that people are buying washing machines and fridges rather than 52" televisions and the latest mobile phones. But of course they are selling all of them. My sympathy is with those who are trying to provide for their families and have no other way of keeping food fresh, or clothes clean.

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 11:50:06 AM »
It is quite disgusting that there is so little regulation, f course what might be useful is to obtain and publish an investors/shareholders list! Great shame for the Church of England that they were a sizeable investor in Wonga!

Short term high interest loans are not new, Companies like Provident Finance have been around a very long time and filled a need in the market with relatively high but not astronomical interest rates, they have been around for 130 years and have to factor in the costs of their agents who collect the weekly payments and as the loans are unsecured the high percentages of default.

But as there was almost no regulation greedy opportunists backed by financiers have seen an opportunity to capitalise on the poor and we need legislation very urgently.

Brighthouse used to be Radio Rentals --- remember them? Mainly in business to rent originally and now as you say have become a replacement for high interest hire purchase, however, again they do incur pretty heavy losses and people don't and wont pay but the goods have little value. But, the rates are high and legislation again is needed!

This is all part of Britains sick "me me me" society unfortunately. Growing up on Council Estate with a high proportion of low paid workers and serial petty offenders there was little money and many people basically had "weekly paid" loans or HP to afford some small luxuries like a Radio -- where Radio Rentals started of course - but the payments were not huge and people more responsible sop repossessions were rare. Now I see people racking up huge debts and actually heard a group in my local Pub discussing how they could get loans written off and which organisations to approach and this was just so they could avoid paying their debts deliberately! Not poor really, one is a well paid engineer and his partner teaching! People "play the game" and it is regrettable that those most in need are the most exploited.

Right, enough said, I am off to a Revolutionary Council meeting!

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 13:17:49 PM »
Cash Converters and Ramsdens are just as bad as they pay desperate people really terrible prices for the things they take in to sell.  I have heard some stories of what they have given people for gold rings etc.,
The Manager of the Cancer Research took in a gold bracelet to Cash Converters and they offered her £25.00   She brought it back to the shop. When I called into the C.R.  I had a look at the bracelet and told them to put £70.00 in it.  They did and it sold immediately, I priced it to sell, but I know there was still a profit in it for someone.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 18:12:33 PM »
I become incensed every time I see one of those loan shark companies pop up on TV.

Quick Quid Representative APR 1734%  This is not a misprint.

Appalling that we've made respectable 'Big Jimmy' the evil loan shark that sent his minions round the local council estates to violently threaten single Mums into paying up extortionate interest.

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 11:43:18 AM »
Aye, well 'oop 'ere in't North West we still have a lot of pawnbrokers, in fact they are now regarded as a respectable organisation and of course their "fees" are very low. Yes you can borrow so much, but if it really is a "pay day" loan why do you need so much?

We are back to as I said before leaving for the meeting. (We have decided to let a Constitutional Monarchy remain  :) ) We have a sick, greedy uncaring Society getting more like the USA every day, where people sit together desperately working out if they can afford a life saving operation for their Mother or let her die? (I loved it when I went there, I hated it by the time I was able to transfer back home again because I learnt that if you steal, kill, rape these are all serious Crimes but not as bad as being poor!)

Our Politicians all have the same disease as everyone else, their greed stops them legislating intelligently if it means lack of personal profits. I am glad I probably wont be here in 20 years time, I would hate to see what has happened to my Green and Pleasant land!

If we really wanted to truly help the poor in this Country we would create the environment, jobs with fair wages, (OMG he is talking about going back to skills and making stuff and getting dirty hands ------- he is a Blasphemer!), proper use of taxation monies, cut University places by half and get people learning proper skills.

Oh the hell with it I have really upset myself now -- I am going to the pub!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf