Author Topic: New Fethiye Kordon monument  (Read 5765 times)

Offline faymoore

• Enjoy your life,this is not a dress rehearsal!
Re: New Fethiye Kordon monument
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 13:28:40 PM »
Thank you Yabanci.
We did see men working in that area before we came away...and was wondering!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 23:58:28 PM »

onto the next stage of political aggrandisement called leaving a lasting or permanent legacy!! 

Would you not say he achieved that a long time ago?

I would.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 19:06:50 PM »
On the basis that you are serious.  Can you provide some examples of what lasting legacy he has left, that is unique to him or this area, that is not available or been done in other economically fast growing areas of Turkey in the past ten years, in particular those areas that benefit from tourism?

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 19:40:02 PM »
I understood there would be further meetings and feed back following the meeting

between the Mayor and ex pats. I've not heard of any. I thought it was a good idea

both for the authorities and the ex pat community.

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 10:43:22 AM »
I have to disagree about the monument, I think it looks spectacular and it pays tribute to all of those innocent government employees murdered for just doing their job.

I know if one of them had been my father, I would be very proud to see him remembered and honored in this way. 

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 11:10:27 AM »
I have to disagree about the monument, I think it looks spectacular and it pays tribute to all of those innocent government employees murdered for just doing their job.

I know if one of them had been my father, I would be very proud to see him remembered and honored in this way. 
Yes but what is the specific link to this town?  Why this particular brutal attack and not any of the many others that have been carried out across Turkey over many years, including perhaps state murders too?  As a town that benefits enormously from tourism, then perhaps recognition of the British family blown up on the Dolmus in, I think it was, Altinkum some ten years or so ago?

No I rather suspect that the Mayor is still driven by the Turkish nationalism - largely based on the negative anti Kurdish / Armenian sentiments - he used to support as the elected representative of one of the nationalist parties before he jumped ship to the Demokrat Party, fearing an electoral loss to the AKP.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf