Author Topic: Academics for Peace  (Read 2464 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Academics for Peace
« on: April 22, 2016, 13:38:17 PM »
Four Turkish academics signed an "Academics for Peace" petition in January 2016. This called on the government, in relation the continuing warfare in South east Turkey, "to prepare the conditions for negotiations and create a road map that would lead to a lasting peacewhich includes the demands of the Kurdish political movement". The four have been detained and charged with making propaganda for a terrorist organization even though there was no incitement to violence. If convicted the four could face sentences of imprisonment of up to seven and a half years. The link below is to an Amnesty International petition that you may sign if so inclined.

https://www.amnesty.ie/content/turkey-release-academics-detained-signing-peace-appeal

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Academics for Peace
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 14:39:02 PM »
Signed Colwyn.
I have heard nor seen nothing of this.  Another case of keep your mouth closed or face the music.  When will Turkey waken up ? :(

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 14:50:01 PM »
I heard about it in the weekly news update from my trade union. It makes more sense if you read it in conjunction with Erdogan's statement last month that the definition of "terrorist" be changed to describe those who did not actually attempt to cause terror but to MPs, civil activists and journalist who "supported" those who did. Of course this is the man who described the tennis fans who booed an AKP Minister at a championship tennis match in Istanbul as also "terrorists".

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/turkey-s-president-erdogan-wants-definition-of-terrorist-to-include-journalists-as-three-academics-a6933881.html

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 14:54:49 PM »
I wrote about this in January,
Signed Colwyn.
I have heard nor seen nothing of this.  Another case of keep your mouth closed or face the music.  When will Turkey waken up ? :(

Heres the thread from January Anne.

JF

Edit: http://www.calis-beach.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=59883.msg413353#msg413353

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 15:07:25 PM »
You appear to be threadless, JF.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 15:15:48 PM »
The Emperor's New Clothes or Invisible Threads ?

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 15:50:49 PM »
You appear to be threadless, JF.

Fixed now  :)

JF

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 17:13:35 PM »
All signed.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 18:18:14 PM »
I had to think quite hard before signing a petition calling on the government to release prisoners before the court decides "guilty" or "not guilty". The trial starts today. I would be aggrieved if some foreign petition aimed to do the same in the UK. But then I remembered that when two Cumhurriyet journalists were released by the Constitutional Court, Erdogan responded by saying he didn't concur with it, didn't respect it and wouldn't obey it. A pretty clear signal to the courts that they shouldn't suppose they are independent of his authority. A petition may not be taken very seriously by RTE but reminds him that the we are watching his actions. It also gives moral support to the imprisoned academics.

By the way, the two journalists who were released had reported that the government had tried to ship arms to Daesh. Erdogan said this was not "free speech" but "espionage".

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf