Author Topic: Favourite Turkish Meals & Snacks  (Read 2517 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Favourite Turkish Meals & Snacks
« on: April 23, 2016, 12:00:20 PM »
One of the first things I learned when I started getting interested in cooking, I must have been about 12, was that there were reckoned to be three great cuisines in the world - French, Chinese and Ottoman (I imagine the Italians might be a trifle miffed about that). So the sort of thing that was on offer on Calis prom - whatever with rice, chips and salad - was something of a disappointment. Once you got past kebabs and casseroles there wasn't much left except "English Dishes". It took a while to search out interesting meals and tasty snacks. So here's your chance to pass on some of your favourites. Here's some of mine.

Arnavut cigeri (Albanian liver) as a starter is the dish to which I most look forward. Lamb tandur (i.e. cooked in a clay pot) is a superior casserole. Mussels stuffed with rice sprinkled with chilli and lemon from a street seller and eaten gazing at the sea. Gozleme patatesli. Hamsi tava (fried anchovies). Some years ago there would have been kokorec on this list but since a badly cooked batch put me in hospital for two months with blood poisoning I have, unsurprisingly, changed my feelings about it. How about you?

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Favourite Turkish Meals & Snacks
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 13:10:15 PM »
Good post Colwyn. 
I too love the mussels stuffed with rice sprinkled with chilli and lemon.   
Some others I enjoy are lahmacun, menemen (scrambled eggs are nowt in comparison), liver dorum, anything done in a claypot and if there is room left I do enjoy konefe to finish.

A few years ago when Sardina restaurant was opposite Scarlett they did the most fantastic liver dish I've ever tasted.  Very finely sliced (shaved almost) and served in olive oil with all sorts of spices in.  It was a sensation on the taste buds not to be beaten.  I have tried liver dishes of all sorts now and have yet to find anything remotely similar.

As an afterthought I will add mezze to the list.  I could eat most of them all night and forget the main meal  :)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 13:24:25 PM »
Hamsi tava (fried anchovies).

One of my favourite Turkish dishes. 

The flabby farmed bream and bass found so often in Turkish restaurants do nothing for me, I can get them anywhere - however, hamsi are a whole different kettle of fish ( :)).

The start of the hamsi season makes a trip up the Bosphorus a must, somewhere like Ayder Balik Locantasi at Rumeli Kavağı where you can sit and watch the (nautical) world go by with a bottle of raki and a big plate of black sea anchovies, lightly dusted with cornmeal and seasoning, then fried to a crispy perfection.  When there isn't time to head up the Boz, another good place for the hamsi is the various fish restaurants next to the Beşiktaş fish market - same routine, hamsi, raki and watch a very different world go by.

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 13:27:28 PM »
Anne, agree about the meze providing they come with a small bottle of raki. My favourite is Circassian chicken but I only knew one place that made it. Also any fish with raki. I like menemen if it is cooked with whole eggs that are swirled around in the cooking process to break them up rather than beaten first. This gives a pattern of white and yellow twirls in the dish along with the red tomatoes and green peppers. Most attractive.

Offline philrose

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 09:11:56 AM »

A few years ago when Sardina restaurant was opposite Scarlett they did the most fantastic liver dish I've ever tasted.  Very finely sliced (shaved almost) and served in olive oil with all sorts of spices in.  It was a sensation on the taste buds not to be beaten.  I have tried liver dishes of all sorts now and have yet to find anything remotely similar.

As an afterthought I will add mezze to the list.  I could eat most of them all night and forget the main meal    :)
We used to love the Sardinia one of the best eateries in Calis our favorite dish was their "Albanian's Liver"  :) They were originally "below the pavement" opposite the Meri Bar before relocating to opposite Scarlet's. Unfortunately another one gone never to be seen again....

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 10:28:29 AM »
That's the one Phil.
I'm surprised there are not more posts on this thread.  Maybe you all eat in Marias  :)  :)  :)

Offline marina

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 11:01:07 AM »
I also loved Sardinia's liver and onions, was mortified when we arrived a few years ago and they'd closed down.  If I remember rightly the onions were served raw, also very finely sliced but absolutely delicious!

Also agree with Colwyn about the menemen being cooked with whole eggs rather than beaten, another simple but delicious meal.    :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf