Author Topic: The financial markets are rarely wrong...  (Read 5252 times)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
The financial markets are rarely wrong...
« on: May 16, 2016, 10:23:53 AM »
It's true - the "big guys" who make more in ten minutes trading than many of us make in a normal working lifetime rarely get it wrong, and the smart ones amongst them NEVER get it wrong.

Since Davutoğlu's resignation, that some are actually describing as a form of coup, it would appear that outside investors are bailing from Turkey faster than the head disappears from a pint of Efes.  The HDN describes it as "portfolio outflow", an economic phrase that doesn't sound quite so bad as "bailing".  This month has seen more investors leave Turkey than any other this year, by 12th May they had dumped $469mil of Turkish stocks and bonds - and the process is still ongoing. 

The Al-Monitor published an article on the same day, where Tim Ash from Nomura, a Japanese financial house, is quoted as saying:

"Erdogan and his partisans could attribute the 14 years of success to Erdogan's political wisdom. Looking at election results, that may well be true. But the economic miracle in the AKP era has very little to do with Erdogan. Actually the trend for non-traditional policies has negatively affected the economy and market confidence," Ash wrote.

Ash attributed the economic miracle to Erdogan's former economic staff Ali Babacan, Durmus Yilmaz, Ibrahim Canakci and Mehmet Simsek. From this team of experts, only Simsek remains, and it is not yet known whether he will have a seat in the new cabinet. Erdogan's advisers have said that some names might change, but policies won't.

I think most folks with half a brain would agree with him - unfortunately Erdoğan is now "the man".  He's in charge, and it yet remains to be seen if the Central Bank will continue to act independently of political interference. 

From a purely selfish perspective, I'm glad we no longer have any major assets in Turkey.  Rumours about deals being done in dark smoke free rooms (   :) ) between the MHP and AKP, to further the changes to the constitution and allow the "all powerful one" to become the "even more all powerful one" do not bode well for the man (and woman) in the street, in Turkey.

JF

Offline davybill

Re: The financial markets are rarely wrong...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 12:55:33 PM »
Yes but the main thing is the sun is shining today, and the Efes is nice and cold.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 14:41:03 PM »
And how much is an Efes now ?

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 15:36:04 PM »
Only one reply before mentioning the price of Efes Alan, you going for a record here?

;)

JF

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 15:50:04 PM »
Most people don't know this...

"Ash attributed the economic miracle to Erdogan's former economic staff Ali Babacan, Durmus Yilmaz, Ibrahim Canakci and Mehmet Simsek. From this team of experts, only Simsek remains, and it is not yet known whether he will have a seat in the new cabinet."

Quote from John H's post above
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 16:33:01 PM by nichola »

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 16:20:15 PM »
Who is this John H fellow?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 16:27:26 PM »
Only one reply before mentioning the price of Efes Alan, you going for a record here?

;)

JF

It's a very important subject in the EPK community, apparently.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 16:34:51 PM »
Who is this John H fellow?

Amazingly it seems I still have time to edit it but I won't.

Sorry JohnF I meant you...

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 17:22:43 PM »

Good to see that people are starting to forget 2007/08 and the collapse of financial capitalism and all that chit-chat about sub-prime mortgages and their repackaging as second level financial products. The banks have been pleading for this for years - "Let's draw a line under this and move on!". It is very bad for bankers' morale that people keep remembering that those very nice people in banking got them made redundant, ensured their children would never get jobs, destroyed entire economies, and that they stayed out of prison and still, magically, got huge bonuses. But, hey, markets can down as well as up - unless you're a top banker of course.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 18:15:02 PM »

Good to see that people are starting to forget 2007/08 and the collapse of financial capitalism and all that chit-chat about sub-prime mortgages and their repackaging as second level financial products.

Dont think anyone is forgetting the sub prime scandal, hence I said "rarely" - and the smart ones even made money out of that.  The Big Short by Michael Lewis gives an insight into the background of the sub prime lending issue in the US and was recently made into a movie of the same name.  Well worth a read, or watch.

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf