Author Topic: Veal Welfare in Turkey  (Read 3804 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Veal Welfare in Turkey
« on: July 10, 2016, 16:28:26 PM »
I wonder if anyone, perhaps someone involved in animal charities, knows anything about veal production in Turkey and what standards of animal welfare might apply if veal is actually produced in Turkey.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Veal Welfare in Turkey
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 17:37:59 PM »
I think I recall seeing veal on a menu in Turkey.  I don't know how much there would be. I read a lot of beef is imported into Turkey.  The veal calves are from milk herds and again, not too many of them locally.  I am sure there must be milk herds someone.  Someone once told me that cattle are kept in big sheds somewhere in Turkey as there is not much pasture for them.
I know, living in a farming area and knowing some farmers that veal is now coming back. At one time it would not be eaten because of the calves being transported alive with no food or water.  My neighbour used to have a dairy herd, but he gave it up for lots of reasons, but to have a dairy herd the cows have to have calves every year or so and the female calves  are kept and the males which are not good for beef are used for veal.  When all the fuss was on about transporting calves, a lot were killed when they were born.  So, in a way this is now helping dairy farmers to make some money by veal being back on the menu. 
It would be interesting to know the situation in Turkey.

Offline davybill

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 17:46:17 PM »
The Hotels we have stayed in, at Belek Antalya, had quite a bit of veal on the menus.

Offline sadler

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 18:18:44 PM »
Just covering my ears and eyes with this one. We live very near to Brightlingsea  from where live veal used to be shipped abroad in the most horrendous conditions. Big demonstrations against the exportation of live veal were carried on. Brightlingsea is such a small quay on a river, not the sort of place one would expect that sort of thing to be happening. Let's hope it doesn't start up again.  :( >:(

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 18:39:17 PM »
There are several farmers and butchers here in North Wales selling veal. The calves that I see appear to be well looked after. I don't have any problem with eating it.

I doubt that conditions in Turkey for them would be particularly good compared to the UK.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 18:44:44 PM »
KKOB, I don't have any problem eating veal in the UK - nor in France. I wouldn't eat it in Italy or most of the rest of southern continental Europe. Not simply about transport; more about the way it is raised.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 18:56:34 PM »
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the majority of beef sold as veal in Turkey has been velveted.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 21:46:34 PM »
Problem was, people did not want to see the calves shipped abroad in crates and so the farmers in the U.K had to shoot them when they were born.  Now all the regulations have changed, at least the farmers now can sell the male calves from the milking cattle and make some profit from them.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 07:40:33 AM »
I do not know the answer to this question, but based on what I have witnessed here in Turkey in how animals are treated, whether domestic or farm, I think it is fair to conclude that any veal calves are unlikely to have been raised in anything resembling good welfare standards.  And don't get me started on slaughter.  Although I wouldn't be surprised that there was legislation on animal welfare in this area, like vast areas of the EU it is ignored by both farmer and national inspectorates alike.v

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 10:22:44 AM »
KKOB, I don't have any problem eating veal in the UK - nor in France. I wouldn't eat it in Italy or most of the rest of southern continental Europe. Not simply about transport; more about the way it is raised.

Standards have increased considerably in recent years - the UK & EU banned "crating" way back in 2007 but there are still concerns over the diet in many EU countries, France included.  Mainland European customers want "white" veal whereas in the UK we've now gotten accustomed to rose veal.  I've read that public opinion in a lot of countries that produce white veal is gradually producing a shift to rose veal but purists still want that white stuff.

According to a friend who's a chef in Istanbul veal production in Turkey is minimal, most of the higher end places import from Germany.  She reckons there may be places that produce it specifically for the Antalya area but its likely that a high proportion served down there is imported also.

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf