Author Topic: Martin McGuinness  (Read 4809 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Martin McGuinness
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2017, 20:22:41 PM »
Well it's nice to see you back after a couple of years Phil. I could thank McGuinness for that  ;)

Offline saoirse

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2017, 20:26:58 PM »
Thanks very much Scunner
Hope you and family are well-call over to Valencia some time for a sangria or two

Off topic apologies

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2017, 21:31:39 PM »
Martin McGuinness was proud of his involvement with the IRA, Sinn Fein and his involvement in the peace process. Thoughts and prayers with his widow Bernie,his children and of course all the victims of the war in Ireland from both sides.The IRA was not the only terrorist group during the troubles and many suffered.

True Bernie, There was more than one terrorist group. There was the IRA Republicans. who bombed, shot and killed lots of innocent people and then there were the Provos Protestants who wanted Ireland to stay with G.B. (who were a bad lot too I have no sympathy with them some right nutters ). They just tried to kill the I.R.A.   Sorry, no prayers for his wife and family who knew what he did and complied with it.

Offline CleopatrasAsp

• Irish by birth, Geordie by marriage!
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2017, 21:32:28 PM »
Martin McGuinness was the same age as me and it wasn't easy growing up in Northern Ireland in the early sixties when, depending on your religious persuasion, you had plenty of opportunities or none!!!  So many disillusioned youngsters became easy fodder for the paramilitaries, Martin McGuinness among them.  That being said, I did not like the man for what he was, but I respected him for the man he became.  In the years before the Good Friday Agreement, time and time again the paramilitaries were told that unless they disarmed no political dialogue would even be considered.  Well, they did that and a lot of that was due to the effort of Martin McGuinness.  Norman Tebbutt calls him cowardly, understandable considering he and his wife suffered greatly at the hands of the IRA nor do I forget the many other innocent people who lost their lives, but ultimately he tried to make a difference.  Whether or not he took secrets to the grave is entirely speculation.  My dad was born in a United Ireland, Martin McGuinness wanted a United Ireland and eventually learned that political means, not violence was the only way for it to come about. Whether it ever will is anyone's guess.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2017, 21:48:52 PM »
Thanks very much Scunner
Hope you and family are well-call over to Valencia some time for a sangria or two

Off topic apologies

Be careful, we're the sort of people who actually turn up  ;)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2017, 22:54:25 PM »
Whether or not he took secrets to the grave is entirely speculation. 

I strongly disagree CleopatrasAsp - I believe it to be a certain fact.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf