Author Topic: Terrible bus crash in North-West Turkey  (Read 2473 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member

Offline yabanci

Re: Terrible bus crash in North-West Turkey
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 13:41:30 PM »
Thats a rather chilling statistic in the last paragraph of that BBC report. :(

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 18:53:09 PM »

Yes, that caught my eye too. Frightening.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 07:06:36 AM »
Chilling indeed but until there's better policing of the appalling driving it's not going to change sadly.

Sent from my Lenovo YT-X703F using Tapatalk

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 08:32:54 AM »
While its a tragic event, it loses its impact due to incidents like this being so common in Turkey.  I don't think there's a week goes by without multiple deaths from road traffic incidents being reported across the country, in a variety of circumstances, but often involving buses or minibuses.

Policing, education, road signage & maintenance and folks general approach to safety on the roads are all factors.  Unless votes are an issue, don't expect changes soon.

You might think its safer travelling by train - unfortunately, within Europe Turkey is consistently in the top ten rail deaths list which considering its limited rail network (given the size of the country) is pretty shocking.

JF

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 13:58:48 PM »
Interestingly (at least I found it so) deaths on UK roads were at that sort of level from the 1930's right up to 1980 or so.

Mid 1960's had huge "Turkey level" fatalaties.

However, the fatal road deaths in the UK were not all attributed to high speeds, poor/reckless driving and awful road conditions.

The heavily enforced drink driving laws brought figures down significantly, as did the expansion of the motorway network and the
maintenance of the 70mph speed limit (although we seem to have a de facto speed limit on motorways of 80ish mph).

Huge improvements in car safety measures and a slightly harder to pass driving test have helped, I'm sure.

Perhaps there's also the "Inshallah, we'll get there alive" attitude in Turkey and as we are becoming less theistic in the Uk we take greater personal responsibility for our own safe arrival!

« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 14:07:34 PM by Stuart T »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf