Author Topic: 3C's auction  (Read 4819 times)

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
Re: 3C's auction
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 15:10:44 PM »
It is a massive undertaking...Begging around Calis and Fethiye takes weeks for a start.. The donations don't just get offered to them.. It's foot slogging...Handling the photos alone is a big job.. (Chrissie) sorting and printing the catalogues... finding an auctioneer who can actually do the job...Argue with the bars who always want the event outside their bar.. Sound equipment. Stage...showing of the items and guarding so they don't get stolen...It takes weeks of preparation..There are just not enough helpers.. Do you think that the 3 C's would pass up this opportunity to make mega money if they could.  This is the first time I have been a bit put out with you Keith..

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 15:18:21 PM »
This shows just how little people know about the work involved in running a charity.. The shops in Calis give next to nothing in donations and mostly tat that we had to be "hugely" grateful for.. The business in Fethiye who had the most to give would suddenly have their boss gone to Istanbul for the day.. Three return trips later still no donation..We were hugely grateful for this forum for their generosity donations but even those have dried up now as people have left Turkey.. sorry for ranting but as an ex.member I KNOW what goes into it.!!!! 

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 17:15:04 PM »
My apologies to anyone I have offended...especially you Keith.x

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 17:32:08 PM »

This is the first time I have been a bit put out with you Keith..

I find that quite difficult to believe :D

I know it's a bigger undertaking than the simplistic way I put it - you may remember I was raising money before 3Cs even existed.

The point is, opportunities are being missed and it's the children who suffer. The effort is directly proportional to the potential - big effort, big potential, smaller effort, smaller auction, smaller total raised - but to make no effort and subsequently make zero TL makes you wonder...

If it is all too much for these retired people with time on their hands then maybe we could resurrect the auction (we listed everything here anyway) - maybe the members could help with the load - they could approach their favourite bar/shop/restaurateur to prise a donation out of them - we could do it with Mavis/Embrace?

p.s.
If any of that offends anyone - tough! 

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 17:40:26 PM »
I would speak to Chrissie about permissions needed.. I don't think that just anyone can collect goods but Bekir at Eren spot was always willing to donate to the charities..

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 17:49:48 PM »
I'm offended.

Count me in for any adminy/webby/non foot on the ground nonsense, which I'm sure I'll regret, or others will.

Anne - you could be a consultant   :)

JF

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 19:13:29 PM »
Not a hope John. x

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 19:20:13 PM »
We'll see  :)

Me... I suppose I'm one of these retired old buggers with time on their hands who need a diversion from the coffee, fags and oloroso!

JF

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 19:23:24 PM »
My apologies to anyone I have offended...especially you Keith.x

Only when you called me a tw4t   ;)

I am not offended - I just think this is a massive Calis 'date for the diary' for so many that if 3Cs can't/don't want to raise money at it, we can get it adopted to another worthy cause. It's awful that such a popular and successful event just fell off the calendar.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf