Author Topic: Thieving bar stewards !!!  (Read 12181 times)

Offline ECHOSTAR

• Uk and Sky Tv no Problem
Re: Thieving bar stewards !!!
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 04:14:41 AM »
The U.K. Customs do the same thing.  Anything over £15.00 in value, which has to be declared on the parcel is liable for Customs charges.   The Postie will call at your home and give you a card which tells you just how much you have to pay, then you have to go to the local Postal Depot and pay for your parcel before it is handed over.

and you can pay that on line these days as long as you have the referance number the royal mail sends you a card for the duty they give you very good system but have been charged on all occasions postage again where duty is due on larger consignments even though it has the postage has been  already been paid by sender
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 04:29:22 AM by ECHOSTAR »

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 04:23:42 AM »
Our freighted goods finally arrived yesterday (5 weeks against the promised 6 days !!!)
10 of 27 framed paintings/photos had the glass broken and 2 china ornaments were irretrievably broken  >:(
The frames can be re-glazed so not a total disaster.
3 framed photos were also totally destroyed but we have electronic copies so we can reprint on canvas (unframed)
Despite the box being clearly identified as fragile it was either crushed or jumped on  :(
(sounded like a box full of broken glass when we collected it - but I suppose that's what it was !!)
£260 freighting cost £300 customs storage and £200 notary fees for Power of Attorney to the recepient - OUCH !!!!!
The items are all the first things that would be 'saved from a fire' so are priceless to us.
You win some you lose some - in the scheme of things its not a fortune   ;)

Offline ECHOSTAR

• Uk and Sky Tv no Problem
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 04:31:48 AM »
Our freighted goods finally arrived yesterday (5 weeks against the promised 6 days !!!)
10 of 27 framed paintings/photos had the glass broken and 2 china ornaments were irretrievably broken  >:(
The frames can be re-glazed so not a total disaster.
3 framed photos were also totally destroyed but we have electronic copies so we can reprint on canvas (unframed)
Despite the box being clearly identified as fragile it was either crushed or jumped on  :(
(sounded like a box full of broken glass when we collected it - but I suppose that's what it was !!)
£260 freighting cost £300 customs storage and £200 notary fees for Power of Attorney to the recepient - OUCH !!!!!
The items are all the first things that would be 'saved from a fire' so are priceless to us.
You win some you lose some - in the scheme of things its not a fortune    ;)

Glad to hear you got it any way something else now to be sorted out

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 10:10:04 AM »
Try Zenap Picture Framers in Fethiye. He is very good and really cheap.
For future reference polystyrene boxes are really good to use for sending goods abroad.  I used nothing else. They are very light and very strong.  If you have a container of goods, get a big roll of bubble wrap from Ebay and some poly boxes for anything breakable.  After 25 years in the antiques business, shipping items all around the world and in particular to Australia.  I found poly boxes the best and never used anything else.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 10:35:16 AM »
  I found poly boxes the best and never used anything else.

Yep, my parrot would agree with that.

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2014, 11:17:07 AM »
Where is Zenap Jacqui ?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2014, 12:08:57 PM »
It's Galeri Zeynep and it's on Çarşı Cad. which is the road coming out of Fethiye on the one-way system from Paspatur to the Tuesday Market area. If you walk up the hill from where the Oludeniz dolmuses terminate behind the big white mosque, turn left at the T-junction, it's about 100 yards along on the right.

(Just seen Jaqui's post below. He may have moved again.)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2014, 12:12:31 PM »
The guy has been at different locations on the one way street with the Banks.  This year we noted he was on the opposite side to the Mulberry tree just down a little lane, the shop is visible from the street as it is at the bottom of the lane at the end and has the name over the window.
He framed six old prints for us at a very reasonable price, he has all the samples for the surrounds so you can pick the frame style/colour you want.  He then framed another picture for us and gave us great advice about the style of frame.  He also made us a mirror to fit over our fireplace and framed that.  We could not get it in our car, so he delivered it for free. :D

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2014, 12:15:33 PM »
Might be worth phoning him.

0252 612 61 31

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2014, 16:09:23 PM »
Thanks chaps !