Author Topic: Help - TV/Electric Problem  (Read 2362 times)

Offline enigma

Help - TV/Electric Problem
« on: January 11, 2009, 12:34:26 PM »
In September 2007 we bought a new 42" Vestel TV.  We started to have problems with the TV cutting out.  After a process of elimination we thought this may be caused by the fact that our air con unit was above the TV and, when used, was causing condensation in the TV.  We had a shelf fitted above the TV to stop the cold air hitting the TV.  However, when we went out at New Year just gone the TV still kept cutting out.  We got the Vestel service people out who told us it was a voltage problem and advised us to get an electrician to check.  We did this and the electrician said the electric was OK.  However, he did say that surges of high or low voltage can cause problems and fitted us with a new extension lead.  Whilst he was doing other work for us the TV went off again and he said it is a problem with the TV.  The day before we left Vestel came and took the TV away for further investigation.  We fear that they will report that there is nothing wrong with the TV and are beginning to wonder if it is an electric surge problem.  We had a small 21" TV previous to this and encountered no problems.  Has anyone else encountered a similiar problem?  Can anyone with some knowledge throw any light on this problem we are encountering and give a suggestion of how to solve it?  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  We are not going back out until May but will be there for 7 weeks and will need to have a working TV.  I would add that we have probably only watched the TV for a total of about 15 hours.

Offline busybee

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 23:29:20 PM »
Hi Margaret, we have had the same probs and have lived in our villa for 3 years!!  Ours affects our internet modem, not enough power to connect to ADSL, also lights dim, oven slow etc. Our elec surges up and down. You need to go to Tedas or get a Turkish person to telephone them.  They have been out seveal times to us and upped our power, first time we were only getting 140volts!!! and it should be 220volts. We still have intermittent probs, but it has improved. We have borrowed a voltage tester and monitor our electric, if you know anyone who has one might be an idea to bring it with you. If you hve no joy with Tedas I do have a mobile no. for one of their engineers who's English is quiet good(think he is the only one!)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 23:46:17 PM »
I bet the 42" TV is a plasma rather than and LCD - the power consumption of plasma TV's is huge! Coupling that with an aircon unit will test Tedas to the full, something they aren't good at  ;)

Offline enigma

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 18:44:18 PM »
Hi thanks for your comments.  Our TV is LCD and the electrician who came out did check our voltage.  It was high each time he checked it during the hour or so he was there.  It was registering 237 and, as the norm is 220, he said it was very good.  However, I believe that probs can happen if it goes over 240 so we wonderif that's what happens.  Anyway we intend to get equipment to prevent high or low surges when we are back in May.  However, if that doesn't solve our problem we will certainly get in touch with Tedas. Thanks for your advice. We would be pleased for the mobile number which you have.  Will he come to Hisaronu? Marg

Offline chewyturk

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 10:13:24 AM »
Sounds to me like it's probably a problem with your TV, we have a 42"Vestel Pixcellence and have not had a problem.
We were a bit unhappy with the way it rendered colours with the pixcellence feature switched-on so they brought us another brand new one and swapped it.
We had several phone calls from their head office asking if we were satisfied so i must say the customer service we received was very good.

Have you heard back from Vestel?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf