Author Topic: Info on Portugal please.  (Read 4646 times)

Offline mary62

• Growing old disgracefully.
Info on Portugal please.
« on: January 04, 2018, 10:16:05 AM »
Hi All. This year I'm broadening my travel horizons. I would like to go to Portugal, But I know very little about it. I want somewhere with nice restaurants but quiet nightlife. Also, I would be hiring a car, so where to visit? Any info gratefully received.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Info on Portugal please.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 10:25:39 AM »
I know the Algarve quite well and there are some lovely areas. From what you are saying I would maybe look at Lagos or Praia Luz (where little Maddie went missing).

Lagos has much more to offer though and if you have a car you can visit some lovely villages in the area.

I’d also consider a couple of days in Lisbon. Lovely city and only a three hour drive - all quiet motorway.

Don’t forget the tolls are by number plate recognition and I think you pay at the local post office. Worth checking when you hire.

We stay in Praia da Rocha but it can be very busy in the summer - hence I would travel a little further west.

Offline mary62

• Growing old disgracefully.
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 10:54:12 AM »
Thank You Stoop for the info....definitely given me food for thought.

Offline MrT

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 12:42:07 PM »
Alvor lovely little place and the beaches to the east side are breathtaking

Offline The Bruces

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 14:00:48 PM »
I agree with everything that has been said above but would also add that a visit to Porto for a few days is also very worthwhile. If you have the time, a drive up the Douro valley is also stunning. Don't miss Portimao, if you go.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 14:36:18 PM »
I agree with everything that has been said above but would also add that a visit to Porto for a few days is also very worthwhile. If you have the time, a drive up the Douro valley is also stunning. Don't miss Portimao, if you go.

Portimao is a bit dead in the centre now. Lots of shops closed due to recession and out of town shops. However you can get a ferry across to Ferragudo which is a lovely little fishing village - or drive there.

Offline Wagon Wheels

• Newly Registered
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 15:06:53 PM »
Have been staying in Portimao for the past 3 weeks now and on our last week and can't wait to go home. This is our first trip to Portugal and probably our last.  The suggestion about Lagos is a good idea for a base, we have visited all along the Algarve from Spain until Cap St Vincent's and must say there are some lovely places along the coast.  You certainly need a car to get around and this time of year most places are closed  Also be aware that the weather is very unsettled here and we have not seen a lot of warm sunny days since we've been here and the prices are rather expensive. General set menues are around 14.90€  Have been quite disappointed about Portugal. Maybe in the summer the place is different, but certainly not for me.

Sharon

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 20:41:09 PM »
25yrs ago my ex mother-in-law had a villa in Tavira. Back then it was a lovely Portuguese town and not touristy at all ( my ex father-in-law deliberately searched these areas) we used to love our visits there, going to the local fish market, restaurants, mixing with the friendly locals. I've since heard it's offered as a tourist place. Portamao, alvor, praia de rocha where all lovely back then and we visited for many years until ex inlaws sold up and moved to Spain.  I have very fond memories of Portugal and it's people.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 22:47:01 PM »
We like Portugal - relatively easy to get to, good weather, cheap (good) wine, no time difference etc - however we don't feel we have found 'our' part of it as yet. Have been to Alvor, Praia de Rocha, Cabanas/Tavira and enjoyed them all but not desperate to get back to any of them. Hopefully our little part of Portugal is out there, and we'll happily go to Portugal if the flights and accommodation are reasonable. 

Offline DianaJ

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 21:45:21 PM »
Heading to albuferia early hours this Thursday back late Saturday night flight , apartment for 2 nights & transfer for £95 each couldn’t get a hotel for the night here at home for that so just thought why not as long as rain stays away has to be warmer than being at home ????

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf