Author Topic: Its started :-(  (Read 9067 times)

Offline Sleuth

Its started :-(
« on: May 26, 2014, 09:23:31 AM »
Slowly slowly some ( not all) restaurants and shops in Hisaronu are starting to display their prices more and more in `sterling` not in lira.... by the time the season is in full swing I  bet many more will be doing the same... and why ?   because of the high exchange rate !!

for example... 10 dvd`s  for a tenner  at 3.50tl per pound this year... is no better a deal than 10 dvd`s for a tenner at 2.80tl per pound that it was this time last year
The same with menu`s and clothes etc
The high exchange rate should be a `perk` for the visiting english tourists...  but it seems some shop owners here want the `increase` in their pockets.
Of course prices have to go up here in Turkey annually...  but we are in Turkey and we want to see the prices in lira not sterling... and if like it is right now a high exchange rate... let the tourists enjoy some of it
Or am I  mathematically missing something here ? :-)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Its started :-(
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 11:48:50 AM »
No - I think you are correct. Vote with your feet if at all possible. I think that's the only answer really.

Offline tiggsy

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 11:52:17 AM »
With the haggle factor, you can easily get 12 DVDs for a tenner. Fight back.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 12:32:18 PM »
Make your own copies, and cut the greedy buggers out altogether. There is only one guy, ( Hassan ) who I would buy from , but in Calis, great quality, no problems, no rip- offs  !

Offline scorcher

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 12:43:37 PM »
No rip offs ? I doubt that the film makers and distributors would agree !

Offline Harmless

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 14:02:59 PM »
Mathematically, no, but, they have nearly always advertised in sterling.  I think,  maybe, as not so long ago there were millions of lira to a quid, people would be put off by the Turkish Lira price and just felt more comfortable with pricing in sterling. 

Offline Sleuth

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 15:28:19 PM »
I know you can `haggle` with the dvd`s guys  (12 for a tenner etc ) that was just quoted as an example    ;)
you cant `haggle` though with restaurant menu`s  displayed outside.... in sterling. Its just  a subtle way of the owners creaming off from the tourists much of the increased rate today.. and maximising their higher prices offered.

but come on... if the exchange rate was say 2.20 to the pound as it was a few years ago... I  bet all the restaurants shops and bars .. every price would always be in lira   ;)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 15:54:20 PM »
I wonder how long it'll be before the Zabita or Jandarma get kick-started and point out that it's illegal to price goods or services in any currency other than TL. Or, whether they'll just conveniently overlook it again this year.  ;)

Offline Sleuth

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 16:07:21 PM »
KKOB      things are changing here in Hisaronu to the good... for the first time in eleven years we have noticed a drop in the noise level at night in our vicinity... reported complaints a couple of weeks ago at the start of the season were severely dealt with !! is it because we now come under the Fethiye council here in Hisaronu  ? changes were promised ... and maybe, hopefully it seems they are being carried out.... peace at night now at `stupid o`clock` at last in our immediate area   :)  can now sleep with the windows open... bliss..  with no `boom boom `from nearby bars.
Apparantly I  hear the council are going to blitz all the boards ( menu`s etc ) that stretch in places  halfway across the road... also we hear the funfair is not opening this year....  maybe one day in the future Hisaronu will lose its Hiroshima` tag   ;)     here`s hoping

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 16:11:01 PM »
I admire your optimism mate.  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf