Author Topic: new member.  (Read 3610 times)

Offline tradesite

new member.
« on: February 02, 2004, 23:37:19 PM »
Merhaba herkes,
               My name is Nigel. I live in Birmingham. I came to Turkey last year on a weeks holiday completely by chance. I stayed in Hisaronu. Just by chance again I found myself in Fethiye ( I jumped on the dolmus, not knowing where it was going and not understanding what anyone was saying and Fethiye was where it stopped.I then spent most of my days in Fethiye travelling backwards and forwards on the dolmus.
Anyway to cut a long story short i was so impressed with the place, the scenery and the people i met ( a complete stranger, a turkish woman on one of the boats, cooked me a meal because i was sitting on the quayside talking to one of her friends) that i am learning to speak, read and write turkish and am coming back for a longer holiday this year.
I am toying with the idea that i might come to live in the area in the future but am wondering what type of employment opportunities there would be. Here i run a small washing machine repair business, which i have done for over 20 years and am wondering if there may be something along the same lines i could do there. I am a qualified electrician/ plumber.

Cheers

Nigel.

P.S. Does any one know Scottish Sue.

Offline Roy H

• Father of the House
  • Father of the House
new member.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2004, 07:11:56 AM »
Welcome to the forum Tradesite,
Trying to make sense of your post above - think you might have meant that the dolmus took you to Calis Beach ? - otherwise it was a bit of a short trip.... :)
There may be some members on here who can advise you on employment possibilities - let's wait and see...

Offline tel

new member.
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2004, 18:17:37 PM »
Welcome to the site Nigel...and enjoy.
I'm sure someone will be along to answer you soon, as Roy mentioned.
I understand LOL You stayed in Hisaronu but came to Fethiye daily  LOL
What's he like, huh...senior citizen, I don't know about senior member.  ouch
Tel

Offline Scarey

• Senior Citizen
new member.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004, 18:26:02 PM »
Hi Nigel, I suspect your trade skills would be sought after out there! I understand its the work permit that can take time!

Tel, I'm the senior citizen or hadn't you noticed LOL

Offline Roy H

• Father of the House
  • Father of the House
new member.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2004, 20:39:21 PM »
Thanks Tel ~ very tactfully put ~ I agree I should have put brain in gear before fingers began talking drivel ~ after all look at the time of my post  :)

Offline Hazel

new member.
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2004, 23:21:48 PM »
Welcome Nigel, by the number of us who are buying properties in Calis I bet we could keep you employed full time. Good Luck.

Hazel

Offline tradesite

new member.
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004, 00:25:46 AM »
Cheers for the replies I have just returned from my Turkish class and been and had a pint with six of the others in the group, five English and one Scottish, everyone of them married to Turkish girls.
                                                                                                     Going back to Roy`s reply. I am sure it was Fetiyhe that I landed at, the only beach I saw was at Oludeniz. I spent most of my day around the bay area and in the park with my five year old grandson who had  made friends with a few of the local children.

Offline Jo Tomkinson

new member.
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2004, 18:52:45 PM »
Hi Nigel,

Whereabouts in Birmingham do you live?  We live in Atherstone, nr Tamworth so not far from Brum.  Live in Brum myself when I was younger.

Jo

Offline tradesite

new member.
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2004, 23:17:51 PM »
Hi Jo
      I live in Ward End, born and raised in Alum Rock.

Nigel.

Offline Jo Tomkinson

new member.
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2004, 23:31:39 PM »
Hi Nigel

I know Ward End - my aunt and uncle used to run a social club there.  Have friends who live near the Bromford - not far from you.

Jo

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf