Author Topic: Advice needed please  (Read 2681 times)

Offline Nigel

Advice needed please
« on: June 15, 2004, 13:53:09 PM »
Hello, I'm going to Calis on June 25th with my wife and two children, we're staying on the Telemessos ( is that spelt right ? ) complex , never been to Turkey before, looking forward to it immensely , just got a few questions, if anyone can help I'd be really grateful.

Is it best to take Sterling, Turkish currency or travellers cheques ?
Are there any foreign exchange shops near the complex ?
Is it easy enough to travel from the complex to Fethiye , are buses ? taxis ? frequent ? easy to find ?

Are there any shops stocking essentials ( beer, water , bread, etc. )
within walking distance of the complex ?

Sorry for posting probably the most boring message in the history of the website , thanks in advance for any advice.
Cheers
Nigel.mailto:

Offline ronan

• Groveller
Advice needed please
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 14:35:25 PM »
Hi Nigel and Mailto,
We have a villa on Telmessos, and are going out on the 21st.
In answer to your questions:
We just go to minibank in fethiye, for our money. Then were not carrying money over here with us we find this the easiest.
No there arnt any exchange shops near complex but probably some in calis.
Not sure if dolmus` are going upto complex yet so you`ll have about a 15 min walk along beach to the stop, you can go anywhere then on these!
As for shops near complex not sure we just bought in calis but then we did hire a car!! Not sure if were hiring one this time, but you`ll find if anyone has a car and going to shops they`ll probably ask people if they want anything getting!!
We have a 5yr old son, so know doubt we`ll prob. meet up at some point. Wednesday night 23rd if youve arrived in time there`s a calis-beach meet up at THE BUS STOP 7.30-8pm
Hope to see you there
Ronan,Jo and Jay

Offline Marly

Advice needed please
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 15:36:56 PM »
Hi Nigel,
        Like Ronan we also have a Villa on Telmessos, to phone for a Taxi just say to person who answers Taxi please Telmessos and they will tell you how long they will be, just walk upto the Gates and meet it there, the cost is approx 9 million lira to the Bridge at Calis, where you can then get the water Taxi to Fethiye a lovely journey across the Bay and very cheap! takes about 20 mins. From Fethiye you can get a Dolmus to Olu Deniz/Hisaronu  the Dolmus stop for those is by the Big Mosque ask anyone for directions in Fethiye and you will soon be pointed in the right direction :) Gima Supermarket is very close to the pick up point for the water taxi back to Calis, so ideal if you want to pick up some supplies. But I think the shop on Telmessos should be operating soon[?] Like Ronan said though people are very friendly and I am sure once you get to find your way around, you will probably be alright for a lift upto Calis!!
 Take sterling with you there is a jewellery shop in Calis straight up from the bridge on your right hand side who does money exchange, just check out the rates as it can change daily.
     Have a great holiday:DMarly

Offline AnneandTerry

Advice needed please
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 15:38:23 PM »
Several of the shops in Calis exchange currency, and their rates are always displayed outside and are usually good.

Anne and Terry  

Offline Nigel

Advice needed please
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004, 16:23:07 PM »
Thanks very much for the help, at the risk of pushing it, you know how it is when you remember something after you've sent the e-mail ? Any advice on the following would be much appreciated ....

Is it possible to get a bus to Fethiye in the evening and how long roughly would this take ? Alternatively how much would a taxi cost ?
What's the rough travelling time to Olu Deniz ? Are there organised trips there from the complex ?
Do most people pitch up at the bar on site in the evenings ? Do they stay open late ? Are there any bars / restaurants within walking distance of Telemessos ?
Oh yeah, the kids wanted to know what's the water park like ? Suitable for 9 and 6 year olds ?
Where can they go to see turtles ?
Sorry to sound like I'm rehearsing in case the Chase Inn ,Waltham Chase ever features a round on Calis Beach in it's Tuesday night pub quiz but I'm just trying to get some essential facts !

Offline Tonya

Advice needed please
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 16:33:27 PM »
Hi Nigel, I too own a house on Telmessos.

Yes you can get a bus from Calis to Fethiye in the evenings, (and return) lol

Nothing organised from the complex trips wise, but its easy to do yourself. Just get a bus or water taxi into Fethiye and get a bus onwards to Olu Deniz. I think from Fethiye, Olu Deniz is about 15 minutes away.

Not sure about the bar on site as it was closed in early May when we were there but if not there is a hotel down the road called the Alperin a lot of our members seem to meet up there, there is also a restaurant on the beach called the Birlik which is nice, but apart from that its probably a bus into Calis for all the bars and restaurants on the sea front. The bar on Telmessos stays open till the last person leaves, or that is what I was told!

The water park is ok, very small but should be fine for your two kids, mine were happy enough. (age 6 and 3)

Not sure about the turtles, maybe someone else can help.

Any more questions?? (lol)

Oh yes, and we were told the bus leaves from Telmessos at 9am, 1am and 4pm into Calis.

Offline sandgrounder

Advice needed please
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 19:55:30 PM »
Hi Nigel,
we were in Calis in may and the Turtles were on the beach:D I doubt whether they will be there now though because the beach is busy. However, if you book a boat trip in Fethiye harbour you will see turtles on your lunch stop (usually). Have a great time.
Russ and Jan

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
Advice needed please
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2004, 15:56:39 PM »
Calis to Fethiye on dolmus- 750thou TL- or by blue council bus which are on the hour from the bridge in Calis 500thouTL. Look out from the dolmus which says Fethiye- Sahliden( or something like that) as this bypassess Gunlukbasi and its slightly shorter journey.
Fethyie to Olu Deniz 1mill 500thou takes nearer 30mins as it goes into Hisaronu first and crawls round before going to Olu Deniz- but great scenary.
Last Dolmus boat from Fethiye midlnight. Last dolmus from Olu Deniz to Fethiye 1am. Might want to try Dalyan for Turtles this time of year.
Hope this helps and enjoy!

Offline Nigel

Advice needed please
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2004, 16:07:00 PM »
Thanks very much to everyone for all the advice, really looking forward to getting out there on the 25th. Hopefully see some of you for a beer at the site, you'll recognise me, I'll be the harrassed looking bloke trying to settle by the pool with a book and a beer but instead being forced into playing football in the midday heat by a manic six year old in a Southampton shirt.
Cheers
Nigel.

Offline CMC

• Baildon, Yorkshire, UK
Advice needed please
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2004, 22:27:56 PM »
Hi Nigel, we have a house on Telmessos and returned from there last Tuesday. The bar was open for essentials ie. beer, water, drinks etc, you can put in a bread order for the following morning. Telmessos is a perfect place for young children, very safe enclosed complex with security. The pools are lovely and should be fully running when you're out there. There is a lovely restaurant just 5 mins along the beach on the way to Calis, and if you go the opposite direction out of the complex and walk for about 20 mins there is another lovely bar on the beach.
Christine

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf