Author Topic: Moving possessions  (Read 6579 times)

Offline adorabubble

Moving possessions
« on: February 14, 2010, 19:45:34 PM »
Hiya

We're moving to Turkey in August and we've been trying to get some information about coming across. As was to be expected, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack trying to get a straightforward answer for anything !

So, what we'd like to know, is has there been anyone that's moved across to live permanently recently, and how did you go about getting your possessions across? We're not planning to bring out furniture or anything like that, but I'll be operating my web based jewellery business so I'll need all my beads and we have some things we'll want to take across - including some electrical items - so a pallet will probably be big enough.

We've been given conflicting information about whether or not we can get the pallet sent to us if we don't already have our residency. We're planning on getting our residency while we're in Turkey but we're a bit concerned about the logistics of getting our stuff across.

Any help or tips would be most appreciated (as mum feels like she can't move on without finding out how to overcome this obstacle) ;-)

p.s. if anyone has a low cost villa for rent, we'd be very interested!

Thanks

Adorabubble

Offline jackstee

Moving possessions
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 21:16:20 PM »
WELL
EASY
don't bring electrical goods out, any of them or you will be very highly taxed.
It's all available here.
Steve

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Moving possessions
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 22:06:02 PM »
Hi Lisa
Lodas of people on here have made the move.  Use the search facility for loads of info
Good luck with your move when the time comes

Offline dreamon

Moving possessions
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 22:40:32 PM »
plenty of information on this, just use search button, in the top right hand corner of page.
General concencess from past topics is sell in England and buy new in Turkey far less hassle and probaly cost effective as well.
Beads, put in case cheaper even if you have to pay excess baggage.
It's illegal to work in Turkey and there a a lot of hoops to go through to make it legal and deportation can result in not following the rules.
Also operating a web based jewellery business would require a good postal system I should think..... now how can I put this....... lets just say the postal system in Turkey is different to England......once again just search and you will find lots of information on this subject, good luck.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Moving possessions
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 05:15:14 AM »
Running your Jewellery business out here and using the postal system will be easy. Mrs KKOB had very few problems with hers in all the years we've lived out here.

Despite what many people say, the Turkish postal system's pretty good. Most of the problems were caused by either the the UK Post Office or USPS.

Offline julesbob0303

Moving possessions
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 12:13:39 PM »
I bought some jewellery off ebay, not knowing initially that Mrs KKOB was the seller!!  :D  And very nice it was too!  The postal system appeared to be fab - it all arrived very well wrapped, and really quickly too!   :)

Good luck with your move, adorabubble.   ;)

Offline starman™

Moving possessions
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 09:21:13 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by jackstee

WELL
EASY
don't bring electrical goods out, any of them or you will be very highly taxed.
It's all available here.
Steve

Not anymore. You will only be charged a bandola tax on anything that sends and receives TV-Radio waves. So something like a dvd player or a fridge would not get taxed.

Offline kizkucuk

Moving possessions
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 10:34:34 AM »
HI - I did it in November/December - I have emailed you  :-)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Moving possessions
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 20:28:57 PM »
I send packages of all sizes world wide and I can help you when you are here with the PTT..

Good luck with the move

Offline cinders

Moving possessions
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 14:09:27 PM »
Hi Kizkucuk
Thanks for advice (re-moving) was really helpful have e-mailed you back
regards C :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf