Author Topic: Relocating  (Read 2686 times)

Offline rosie10

• CHRIS AND SUE SMITH
« on: December 27, 2007, 10:58:00 AM »

Myself and the other half hope to relocate next year. We have not yet sorted out a removal company but to keep costs down we will pack all non breakables ourselves.  Does anyone know if I can mark a box "kitchen equipment" or do I have to mark it for eg "12 forks, 12 spoons etc".

Any info will be gladly received.

Offline Eric

Relocating
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 12:57:11 PM »
Mark Kitchen utensils....etc etc but I think you will find it harder to get insurance if packed by owner so check it out.
good luck
Fi

Offline chewyturk

Relocating
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 20:58:04 PM »
Get the insurance forms from the removal people first, you'll probably find you have to list everything!!!!
We did boxes of "kitchen utensils" etc and then got the forms - we couldn't be bothered to unpack the whole house load of stuff and start again so we didn't bother with insurance.
You also have to put a value to everything in case of loss. ie red shirt - £15 etc etc...too much hassle for me.
If you pack yourself you won't get cover for breakages - just for loss. Cheapest quote i got at the time was Dolphin removals, good service too.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 21:01:24 PM by chewyturk »

Offline bikerchickblonde

Relocating
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 23:14:18 PM »
We loaded and packed our own container and you cannot insure if you do it this way! Did not lose or break anything!

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Relocating
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 03:28:19 AM »
The higher the valuation the more you'll pay in insurance. Also, if you get charged import tax, you'll pay at a higher level.

We packed our own stuff. Gave a vague description on the manifest, down-valued, and didn't have insurance.

The only breakages we had were caused by wilful damage by Customs staff at Izmir during transhipment from the container onto a local vehicle.

If you've got any items of value that are breakable, consider bringing them when you fly, or give them to someone in the UK for safe keeping.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf