Author Topic: "Supporting Sustainable Boat Tourism..."  (Read 8934 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
"Supporting Sustainable Boat Tourism..."
« on: December 08, 2009, 12:50:58 PM »
A TURMEPA press release for you  :)

The Turkish Marine Environment Protection Association (TURMEPA) is mounting an education program to promote greener tourism- and pleasure-boating in the region of Gocek and Fethiye, on the Aegean coast, where these activities have grown considerably over the years. The project supported by Transat is structured around an extensive sustainable tourism awareness campaign, along with training programs for tour boat captains and sailors as well as employees of marinas and seaside hotels. The workshops will seek to promote heightened awareness of environmental issues among some 500 regional tourism stakeholders so as to better protect marine plants and animals in this tourist region, renowned for its magnificent bays and located in one of the country's 14 Specially Protected Areas. TURMEPA is a non-government organization founded in 1994 and dedicated to protecting Turkey's marine environment and its 8,333 kilometres of coastline.

This couldn't possibly mean that hundreds of tourists will have to take their empty plastic water bottles and coke cans home rather than chuck them on the island shores could it..?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 12:54:51 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner
This couldn't possibly mean that hundreds of tourists will have to take their empty plastic water bottles and coke cans home rather than chuck them on the island shores could it..?

What, like the riders of quad-bikes, passengers on Jeep Safaris, picnicers etc already do ?  ;):D ;)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 12:55:41 PM by KKOB »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 12:57:46 PM »
Quad bikers? Not on Red Island they don't :D

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 13:08:34 PM »
Well, they get every*******where else !!! : :): :) ;): :): :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 13:09:02 PM by KKOB »

Offline milliemars

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 13:33:01 PM »
It,s not only tourists!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline bikerchickblonde

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 17:14:20 PM »
Uzumlu Hill rubbish definitely isnt just tourists - in fact in the winter there are no tourists!  At the bottom of the hill is tip after tip of everybody's rubbish - builders and household rubbish!   The picnic site at the bottom of the hill next to the cemetery is a disgrace!  As a charge is made for entry - perhaps this area should be cleaned up with the money taken!  Other picnic stops on the way up the hill are covered in picnic waste, etc. - I would not want to picnic in other people's waste!  Education about litter and saving the environment should be initiated by the schools perhaps!

Offline scorcher

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 17:27:17 PM »
Well said BCB !

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 13:15:48 PM »
I think they should start with educating the Turks on environmental issues before the tourists. There is rubbish everywhere. The common way to get rid of building rubble is to take it into the forest and dump it anywhere.Look at the state of the land by the side of the road up to Uzumlu and going out the Antalya road. Most  days I take my dogs walking iin the forest and it is not unusual to see a new pile of rubble appearing at least once a week. Most of this is caused by fly tipping.

The tourists should ensure that the beer tins and water bottles are properly disposed of and not just thrown into the sea or on the beaches.

There is a duty on everyone to ensure that this beatiful part of Turkey stays beautiful and not turn into a giant rubbish tip.

Offline peecee

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 15:37:55 PM »
My TV has quite a few Arab channels. There is one ad where the family have gone for a picnic, throw the rubbish any which way and when they get home the rubbish has ended up in their house.  Great ad, wish the Turkish Authorities would do the same type of thing.  It only takes a bit of education and a few more litter bins.

Offline stuart

• Professional Spammer
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 02:39:34 AM »
used to be in fethiye that at the beginning of the tourist season and before the summer holidays.
the tour boats took out school kids with their teachers for a day out and their job was to clean up the beaches, put all the jetsom and flotsom in plastic bags and bring ashore in fethiye.
they had a great day out, but i think its stopped now.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf