Author Topic: "Supporting Sustainable Boat Tourism..."  (Read 8930 times)

Offline milliemars

"Supporting Sustainable Boat Tourism..."
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 08:14:07 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by milliemars

It,s not only tourists!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have just driven up to Ovacik from Fethiye behind a Turkish Car driven by a Turkish man when 2 empty bottles came out of his window straight onto the road,followed by varios other bits of rubbish from inside the car!¬:(

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 08:57:49 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Ovacikpeedoff

I think they should start with educating the Turks on environmental issues before the tourists.

There's little more irritating than being told how your country should be run and where it is going wrong by foreigners who chose the place over their own. I wonder what your reaction would be if you were still in the UK and read a forum where Polish people dealt out opinions on why and where they think Britain needs to try harder.

It wasn't exactly centuries ago that the UK had exactly the same mindset, hence the introduction of the "Keep Britain Tidy" campaign which still operates today.

Offline brianthegardener

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 14:32:28 PM »
well said scunner.

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 22:54:16 PM »
What do you think keep Britain tidy was. It was an education of the British public to become more aware of their environment and the consequences of their actions. I am not trying to tell the Turks how to run their country I am saying that maybe a similar campaign may help Turkey. The state of the environment and the ability of the planet to survive for future generations is currently being discussed by 192 countries meeting in Denmark.

It is very difficult to preach to foreigners if all they see around them is rubbish everywhere.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 23:02:59 PM »
Don't then

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 23:06:42 PM »
I don't think he IS preaching to the Turks.  And I agree with what he has said.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 23:10:37 PM »
I don't. You choose a place warts and all or you stay where you were. You can't have the sun and not the thunderstorms. The UK isn't utopia and neither is Turkey. If such a place exists, probably none of us could afford it  ;)

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 23:28:49 PM »
I don't agree.  People who go to live in the UK can see faults and I can see faults here in Turkey.  I didn't like seeing rubbish thrown about in the UK, I don't like seeing it here.  Just because I moved here doesn't mean I have lost my right to have opinions.

But then, you have a right to yours too.....

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 23:46:41 PM »
I really loved to see rubbish being thrown about when I was in Turkey. That's partly the point, nobody of any nationality thinks it's a good thing. It's a habitual and a responsibility matter. My point isn't that it's not a bad thing, or that you aren't allowed to think it is a bad thing - my point is that telling people what needs to be done in the place you chose as your home, with your own free will, is rather rich and pompous. Obviously the level of litter in potential foreign destinations to move to wasn't of much importance to "ovacikpeedoff" when they chose it, now they find themselves there it is of paramount importance and something that must be thrust into the English speaking arena for others to complain about too.

The name is a clue. In the end I became "Calispeedoff" (not about litter and livestock mind you) and rather than sit in the sun moaning about it, I decided to start a new chapter.

Offline peecee

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 05:02:39 AM »
Would agree with Rindaloo and Ovacikpeedoff, it is a matter of education.  It's not a case of telling the Turks how to run their country it's a case of trying to get the message across that all this rubbish will eventually ruin their beautiful countryside and wildlife.  Perhaps it would help if there were official places to dump rubbish?  In the Uzumlu area there is a lot of rubbish dumping, especially from builders.  Walking my dog in the woods I've come across a load of household rubbish dumped including hyperdermic syringes and dead animals!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf