Author Topic: Best Before Dates on Food  (Read 3627 times)

Offline Eric

Best Before Dates on Food
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 22:08:37 PM »
What gets me is the sell by date on bottles of water[?]

Offline Chinook

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 13:41:44 PM »
quote:
If they are free range who knows when the chicken laid them and who knows how long it is before it goes off? You only know when you crack them and they pong!!

If you spin the egg on a worktop then stop it with your finger and remove your finger immediately the egg will will start to spin again if its fresh and edible .

Offline ukchris

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 14:00:17 PM »
it wasn't actually baileys, it was some snide copy with wine as a substitute. She and her husband eat the same food, but he won't touch spirits. It was the doctors that said it would be the drink.
I presumed like most it was food poisoning, not a holiday bug either as it was a month or so after we got back.

It was 4 years ago now, bought from one of the shops in the old airport terminal, plus it was April so i would imagine it had been sat there all winter.

Offline corbindallas

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 16:06:41 PM »
To find out if an egg is fresh just put it in a bowl of cold water and if it floats bin it if it stays sunk it is still fresh!

Offline Chinook

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 16:28:42 PM »
Yes thats another and in many ways a better test as if its very fresh it lies on its side on the bottom and if less fresh but edible stands upright on the bottom.
I've used my suggestion on the market when buying eggs from a source we do not know. Don't half get some funny looks and mutterings. ;)

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 21:16:16 PM »
My mate bought a house near me and gave me the contents out of his cupboard when he went home i had three pkts of noodles with veg and sauce it was all dried ingredients ,didn't look at date when i cooked it i added a drop more water ,it was fine i looked at the date it was 8 years out of date ha and im still here and i ate the other two packets and i agree with farmer i doubt very much it was the baileys i have often drunk baileys 3/4 years old think i have some cupboard now .[:o)] ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf