Author Topic: Rice & kofte  (Read 5507 times)

Offline xxbilleigh-joxx

Rice & kofte
« on: September 05, 2010, 18:44:42 PM »
Hi all-

can anybody tell me what kind of rice they serve in the restaurants over there? (the rice with the brown rice looking bits in it) and is it available in the UK?

also, does anybody know of a good kofte recipe? have tried one out that ive found on the net but it was a bit spicy.

thankyou in advance for any help  :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 18:45:38 PM by xxbilleigh-joxx »

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Rice & kofte
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 18:58:51 PM »
The "brown rice looking bits" are actually fried pasta. It's called Orzo, Risoni or Italian Rice and is available in most supermarkets in the UK. You can use Basmati, Jasmine or any other rice of your choice.

Put a small amount of Olive, Vegetable or Sun Flower oil in a pan together with a spoonful of the pasta and heat it until the pasta just begins to go golden. Then put your rice, salt and water in the pan with the pasta and boil it as normal.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 19:04:06 PM by KKOB »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Rice & kofte
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 19:44:57 PM »
I bought a bag of the pasta rice things last time we were out and because the kids absolutely love "Turkish rice" I got a recipe from Fi and Eric (well Fi actually :D ) and the kids were amazed at the results, they thought I was a star chef. The really good news is that you use so little of the pasta that a 1kg bag will last you for months and months.

The recipe was as KKOB says but using butter, and we think butter does a great job. I think it's 40g pasta bits to 280g rice.

Offline xxbilleigh-joxx

Rice & kofte
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 09:28:12 AM »
Thanks so much guys- i love the stuff. can't wait to try it out xx

Offline hubblebubbles

Rice & kofte
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 20:50:23 PM »
Sounds good to me will definately give it a try.

Offline Eric

Rice & kofte
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 21:10:12 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

I bought a bag of the pasta rice things last time we were out and because the kids absolutely love "Turkish rice" I got a recipe from Fi and Eric (well Fi actually :D ) and the kids were amazed at the results, they thought I was a star chef. The really good news is that you use so little of the pasta that a 1kg bag will last you for months and months.

The recipe was as KKOB says but using butter, and we think butter does a great job. I think it's 40g pasta bits to 280g rice.

Its actually me that cooks this rice in our house, although it is Fi's recipe.....lol

Offline captainjon

• Ignore - Total Dickhead
Rice & kofte
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 23:19:30 PM »
Something strange here!Turkish rice with brown bits.The brown bits are not "orzo" in our Turkish rice recipe.But "Arpa".Arpa is in fact barley,hence it cooks out as brown bits.Put the arpa in the pan with oil,or butter if you wish cook until it turns brown, only a desertspoon full to a one person portion of rice.We use oil but add a small amount of olive oil so it does not burn.But similar to the descriptions above.But the special taste you get, is by cooking it in Chicken stock!not just water.When almost all the cooking liquid has boiled off,turn off the heat and cover the pan with with paper (news paper) will do.Leave it to rest so the rice separates as the water evaporates into the paper.Turkish rice with brown bits!!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Rice & kofte
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 23:51:19 PM »
Hmmm I just checked the bag and yes it says arpa, and there is a barleyesque picture too so I guess it must indeed be barley and not small pasta. I've never really looked at the bag, just to see what was inside it. So I appear to have bought the wrong thing which could have ultimately turned out to be the right thing.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Rice & kofte
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 09:02:44 AM »
and me ! :D

Offline Firo

Rice & kofte
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 10:39:53 AM »
Well the Turkish lady who gave me the recipe said it was pasta. Bag says Makarna on front and on back Arpa sehriye which translates to Barley Vermicelli.
Answer it's Barley pasta, pasta made by Barley flour.
Mystery solved
Glad to hear the recipe was a success Keith.
Fi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf