Author Topic: Beware water connection under sink  (Read 1442 times)

Offline hazel dorrington

Beware water connection under sink
« on: October 28, 2010, 22:15:55 PM »
I never realised the final connection to taps was done with rubber pipes with fabric covering. The last hot summer was the final straw for my mains water connection and the rubber pipe split. The ground floor filled up with water when the gardener turned on the water to water the garden. The water sat in the house for two months. As you can imagin everything was mouldy and the kitchen ruined.
But no need to panic Engin from Fethiye Property Services came to my rescue and I now have a brilliant new kitchen and beautifully decorated downstairs. See my entry under good shop section.

Offline kizkucuk

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 10:19:54 AM »
Oh poor you how awful but have to confess I didn't realise either until I over filled the cupboard and knocked it loose by listake  - Took a while for the water to leak out of the cupboard all over the floor - luckily I was only gone a few hours but it was still a bit of a surprise when I came home.

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 11:06:09 AM »
same thing happened to me but we have good neighbours who discovered it and got baris out who sorted everything out and replaced what was damaged

Offline valleyboy

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 11:31:24 AM »
This happened to us 3 times last year, once when we were not there and the same thing , first floor flooded out, luckily this was spotted by our neighbour and damage resulted in re-decorating and some minor kitchen damage, second time we were there and caught it in time, third time our daughter was there and only down the market for 3 hours and again living room flooded !.

These connections are standard in Turkey and not very good, we take every precaution now, I've used "gaffer" tape around the connections, we ensure the little grey "localised" taps above the connection are switched of and if we are not there for any length of time switch the water off at the mains, coupled with regular vacancy checks.

In fairness as it was still under warranty our construction company reacted well to these situations: I know we haven't been the only ones affected on our development. They also fitted a gauge at the mains into the building to reduce the water pressure.

I totally empathise with you on this Hazel and can't imagine how it must have been after 2 months !!, it's encouraging to see how well your property maintenance company reacted (though weren't they checking it every 2/3 weeks ?), and I hope everything is ok now as it can be a very stressful time especially when you are not there, and even when you are "paranoia" sets in !.

I must add to your warning beware of the water connections.

Offline kaptainkrunchie

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 13:01:09 PM »
Also check your outside stop tap.

Needed to switch mine off to do some work on a toilet and found out that even though the lever turned it did not cut the water off.

Would have been stuffed if I needed to cut the water off in an emergency.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf