Author Topic: One way ticket booked!  (Read 5059 times)

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
One way ticket booked!
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 22:48:34 PM »
If you have Turks as neighbours they may be suspicious of you when you first move in.  If you are consistently friendly and persist in saying Merhaba to them (maybe bake them something) you will eventually win them over.  They may have been worried that you were going to be one of the more unfortunate examples of expat that pops up here and gives us all a bad name.

If a Turkish neighbour presents you with something they have cooked for you, NEVER return the plate empty.  Our neighbours are always very happy when we take them something we have cooked for them.  I have no idea why, their cooking is so much better.

Very best wished for your fothcoming adventure.  I hope you love it.

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
One way ticket booked!
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 22:50:54 PM »
If you have Turks as neighbours they may be suspicious of you when you first move in.  If you are consistently friendly and persist in saying Merhaba to them (maybe bake them something) you will eventually win them over.  They may have been worried that you were going to be one of the more unfortunate examples of expat that pops up here and gives us all a bad name.

If a Turkish neighbour presents you with something they have cooked for you, NEVER return the plate empty.  Our neighbours are always very happy when we take them something we have cooked for them.  I have no idea why, their cooking is so much better.

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
One way ticket booked!
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 00:36:21 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by kayakebab

well thats it, no going back now, have just booked our one way tickets for the 1st February

have no where lined up to live, but feeling remarkably calm!

wooohoooo!

Linda, I've read all the posts in your thread, am I right in assuming that you're doing this alone [?] If so you are a very brave lady who deserves to have huge success and enjoy a fabulous future in Turkey. The best of luck from me  8) 8)

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
One way ticket booked!
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 12:39:11 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by kenkay

quote:

well thats it, no going back now, have just booked our one way tickets for the 1st February

wooohoooo!

Linda, I've read all the posts in your thread, am I right in assuming that you're doing this alone [?] If so you are a very brave lady who deserves to have huge success and enjoy a fabulous future in Turkey. The best of luck from me  8) 8)

I think OUR one way tickets is a clue:D

Offline PKHUGHES100

One way ticket booked!
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2011, 16:06:56 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has posted in response to my request for tips, especially Ian and Scunner, you all all really thoughtful and helpful people.

Kevin and Karen

Offline johnboy1967

One way ticket booked!
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 16:57:07 PM »
Dont panic Kenkay,      i'm her back up..... shes going nowhere without me...                                                                                                                                    
quote:
Originally posted by kenkay

quote:

wooohoooo!

Offline heatherhanum

One way ticket booked!
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011, 05:29:56 AM »
Wow how exciting. I am so envious. Good Luck with following your dreams. I work for the local authority and hope to request early retirement next year when I am 55. If the council let me go I will be booking a one way flight too. All the very best to you. Take care x

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
One way ticket booked!
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 10:28:22 AM »
Hi and every good wish to you both.....we took the one way trip about seven years ago and are NOT looking for the return trip!  Concur with all the advice given but would add that whilst in no way essential the more Turkish you can learn the more you seem to get out of life here :)

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
One way ticket booked!
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2011, 19:27:33 PM »
Thanks so much everyone for such lovely positive replies. I'm so glad no one has said dont do it!
Ian, thanks for the money saving tips, Im the most economical person I know, if we were married we'd be loaded! Hope to meet you to share ideas.
I even sent off all my letters to council tax, dvla etc today using unfranked stamps steamed off envelopes at work!

I almost have my week planned - exercise classes, Turkish lessons, walking group, volunteering, Turkish cookery group and John will be the guy hanging around the bins rounding up the stray cats ( watch out Tinx! )

I have always wanted to have a go at painting, so will have a dabble with that, and probably get cross if its rubbish, want to learn to ride a bike ( no - really I cant.... ) and have time to read occasionally.
Im happy to knit pullovers for orphans, bake cakes for coffee mornings, in fact anything I can that's helpful.
But I swear I'm never going to be a manager or in charge of anything ever again, if anyone catches me even looking slightly managerial then please slap me!

I want to thank Keith for this wonderful forum, not sure I could have been brave enough otherwise and a special thanks too to Sandy (kizkucuck) who has been an absolute rock throughout the days when Ive had my doubts, tears and tantrums and helped me keep it all in perspective.

To those of you thinking about it- good luck, I hope your dreams come true.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
One way ticket booked!
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2011, 19:41:15 PM »
Linda - I'm sure there are many on here who would be grateful if youmanaged to find the time to write of your experience.

Perhaps we could have a new Section "The Free Kayakebab Diaries".

Brenda and I wish you every happiness.:D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf