Author Topic: Datca trip  (Read 5304 times)

Offline TheBruces187

« on: February 09, 2011, 17:09:47 PM »
We would appreciate some advice from the travellers among the forum menbers, please. We are over in Calis for all of May and fancy a few days out on the Datca peninsular. To date, the plan involves stopovers in Turunc and Datca, neither of which we have visited before. Any recommendations about specific places to stay, things to see or the area generally will be much appreciated. Thanks,John.

Offline Julesp

Datca trip
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 22:29:30 PM »
If you are thinking of going over that side Consider Bozburun Orhaniye and Selimiye Not as far as Datca and a lovely area about 45 minutes from Marmaris

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Datca trip
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 10:21:14 AM »
If you have the time, you might drive right to the end of the peninsula to see the ruins of ancient Knidos where, allegedly, the world's first nude statue was created. I read that the road has been considerably improved since we travelled there so you could probably go via the mountain road and return via the coast all in one day. But you may want to stop over on the way back. We stayed at a tiny coastal place about half way between Knidos and Datca town. I think it was Palamut Buku and I remember we had some difficulty tracking down a room for the night at one of the small pensions so it might be worth trying to book in advance.

Offline TheBruces187

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 17:05:30 PM »
Thanks to JulesP and Colwyn for most helpful feedback. Having seen your replies we have been looking for accommodation in Orhaniye, rather than Turunc and this is looking favourite right now. I think we will still stop a night in Datca and have looksee around the end of the peninsula. I will post some photo's after the trip, if anyone is interested. Thanks again for the replies. John

Offline Alan Keating

Datca trip
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 17:43:56 PM »
We went to Datca about three years ago, you do need to look at the distance, it is over two hours from Marmaris, even more if you take in the views.

In Datca there is a good hotel at the end of the small harbour, the name escapes me, but it has most things. During our visit, we found that we were part of the attraction for the locals; they did not get too many visitors then. Unless things have improved, do ensure you have a full tank. Coming back towards Marmaris, do stop and take in the full views of the bay, excellant. 8)

Offline Julesp

Datca trip
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 17:52:05 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by TheBruces187

Thanks to JulesP and Colwyn for most helpful feedback. Having seen your replies we have been looking for accommodation in Orhaniye, rather than Turunc and this is looking favourite right now. I think we will still stop a night in Datca and have looksee around the end of the peninsula. I will post some photo's after the trip, if anyone is interested. Thanks again for the replies. John

Cant guarantee now cos havent been for a couple of years, but the Dogan Hotel in Orhaniye was always very popular, it was part of the Tapestry collection until they went bust 5 years ago, its in a nice setting at least, with swimming off their small shingly beach, and a lovely swimming pool, and the same owners run it

There website here http://www.doganhotel.net/index.php

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
Datca trip
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 19:09:39 PM »
Bozburun & Selimiye are fabulous as is all that coastline, had an amzing trip around there in 2007, well recommended.

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
Datca trip
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 19:15:29 PM »
http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd311/Mark-Henderson/Bozburun%20and%20surrounding%20area%20in%20August%202007/?start=all

Some pics from my trip, apologies for the "touristy" ones but hey, have camera will snap!

Offline TheBruces187

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 19:49:20 PM »
Thanks both for the additional information. Alan, does the name 'Fora' ring any bells, regarding the hotel in Datca? Julesp, my wife and I were searching independently and both came up with the Dogan, via different routes and you have now clinched it for us. Much obliged. John

Offline Julesp

Datca trip
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 21:45:42 PM »
The Dogan is good but abit off the track if you like to sample different bars at night
My friends now also use this place in Selimiye, nice but only 5 mins walk to the marina with the bars and restaurants. Depends if you like to stay put at night, Selimiye very small marina so not busy either

http://www.selimiye.net/palmetto.shtml

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf