Author Topic: Military Chiefs Resign En Masse  (Read 6062 times)

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

Military Chiefs Resign En Masse
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2011, 10:40:36 AM »
Yes,you have Iran and you also have the gulf stateswhich are muslim states that have openly touted western investment in property.They strictly invoke muslim law.

In a democracy whether it is right or wrong the majority party tends to form the government and at the end of a term of government you have a general election. It is then that the voters have the right to change government.The AK party has been inpower since 2002 and has just won its third general election with a substantial majority. The AK party has the biggest mandate to govern of any major country in the world. The opposition in Turkey instead of being a true opposition just cry foul and try to pass every major bill that the government introduces to the constitutional court.

You have actually knocked a hole in your own argument when you wrote that this government has brought stability and econmonic improvement. With regards to the economy what major country is not having problems at the moment. Turkey has tried to join the EU and they are unlikely to succeed because countries like France, Germany and the Netherlands will oppose their application. Turkey has been forced down the route of having to trade with its near arab neighbours and the former soviet trading block.Some of themajor countries in the world are currently under the threat of downgrade. The USA, the biggest economy, is facing a downgrade in the next couple of days. In fact Turkey has done well and has not been subject to losses incurred in most of the western world.

These popular uprising in the middle east are actually taking place in countries where dictatorships were in power, Tunisia, Lybia and Syria were nothing but tin pot dictatorships and any elections held were rigged before the first vote was cast.

As I said earlier the military has no right to interfere in the running of the country. They interfere to make sure their own power has not been taken away.If you want to see a real economic crash in Turkey lets have a military coup and foreigninvestment will just leave the country. In every democratic country the judiciary is always influenced by the incoming government as it is the right of the government in power to make the appointment. In republican times in the US the supreme court judges tend to be republican party supporters and the system is not much different in the UK. In the Uk the bishops of theAnglican church are approved by the government.

The AK party does not have this super majority where it can introduce constitutional change without reference to the people.

Scunner, with regards to dreams living in the sun it is a worrying time. So far the Turkish government has not really done a great deal to impact the lives of foreigners living in Turkey.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2011, 10:56:35 AM »
Worrying time due to the nature of the Government or worrying time due to the mild threat of a military coup every other month - is there much of a difference...

Offline cenk

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »
Army coups brought only bad things to Turkey. I was a teen when 12th of september coup is done. We are learning what kind of dirty things (tortures, corruptions etc.) were done in those days now. The chief of that coup is still alive, the question is, why he is not arrested if the generals who made only plans for a coup are arrested nowadays (I know the reason)   :)

Personally, I prefer AKP than a coup.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 11:54:37 AM by cenk »

Offline starman™

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2011, 13:10:06 PM »
and why does Turkey still have the same constitution now which was put in place by General Evran? Now military officers are finding out what guilty till proven innocent really means as now they are the victims to the constitution they created by being stuck in jails till their court date comes up.

Offline suehugh

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2011, 13:29:50 PM »
Its got to be better that the ever present threat of a military coup has finally been removed.The army should be run by the government. The government should be elected by the people.A truer democracy at last.
How do you control the excesses of the government. Thats more difficult.The ballot box eventually,but in the meantime, public opinion through all communication media is really the only outlet.
Lets hope Turkey survives this government and its more fundamental leanings

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2011, 16:59:13 PM »
OPO - can you explain what argument I have knocked a hole in by acknowledging and recognising some of the positive accomplishments of the AKP? I am afraid I didn't really understand what you were trying to say.

Starman - last year there was a referendum in Turkey that changed significant parts of the constitution including undermining the independence of the judiciary. PM Erdogan was gutted when he didn't win a constitutional majority in the recent election that would have allowed him to push through more changes without consultation with either the "elected" opposition or the people of Turkey.

Offline Eric

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2011, 17:53:48 PM »
You have to read some of the things this PM has said in recent weeks to get an indication of which way the country might go.  One of his recent statements, and I am not quoting verbatim, is that he does not see the need for ore than two political parties in Turkey, the party in pwer and the opposition, and if both parties agree on the majority of things then why bother having two parties, just merge the two and run the country loke this with a president!

Didn't Hitler start out this way?

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2011, 22:55:47 PM »
Look at the Lira at the bottom of the screen - look at the turmoil in the USA Stock Markets - as I said previously - the fortunes of the Lira are inextricably linked to the Dollar (for the time being)
America sneezes - the Lira catches a cold  ;)

quote:
Ps if the USA do not agree their debt ceiling by Tuesday then I suspect the rate will not go down as the weak dollar is the main reason for the weak lira although some unrest would equally damage it.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 22:57:09 PM by Ian »

Offline jackstee

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2011, 23:27:49 PM »
AKP closed all pig slaughter houses as they were deemed not up to european standard.

Now ask them how many cattle and sheep ones they closed. Or was everyone up to standard.

Hidden agenda maybe

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf