Author Topic: How Do You Deal With a Disappointing Meal?  (Read 8980 times)

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
How Do You Deal With a Disappointing Meal?
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 09:51:11 AM »
Having run hotel kitchens and a la carte restaurants chefs world wide would rather be told about mistakes and food in general ,its no good shouting that wont get you very far be polite and firm you will get a lot more out of them chefs do need the feed backs ,i pointed out to a chef in calis a couple of years ago that you dont make steak Diane with anchovy sauce it should be worcestershire sauce he changed the menu ,he probably picked up the wrong bottle up in the pork shop they are next to each other he probably had never used either of them before so thought they were the same,so dont go out and start moaning about the meal ,have a nice chat and get more from them. ;)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 09:54:04 AM by lance »

Offline Eric

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 10:29:49 AM »
Totally agree with you there Lance.

Offline suehugh

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 10:45:29 AM »
As lance say, feed back is all important as the chef and sometimes staff generally wants to get it right and produce something the customer enjoys , and therefore will return.
We ate a lot at the letoon this holiday. Most meals, particularly the turkish ones were excellant. Construcive critisism was welcomed when we proferred it.
It can also be fun.We recently went to Chiceritos and I ordered a margaurita drink.The waitress asked the standard " is everything ok". I said the drink was not as teeth curlingly tasty as the Maya concoction produced by Nevra.She took that as a challenge and after 4 mixes and much fun, I had the perfect lip twisting coctail.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 11:17:01 AM »
I guess it depends how busy they are etc, at Kings Gardens and especially Anna aparts it was manic, no one really spoke to us at either place.
None of the usual did you enjoy your meal or I might have been tempted to say something. I love moussaka and usually have it at Seckins lokanta where its superb and was expecting great things in a restaurant...!

On the other hand my dad said the Anna pizza was one of the best hes ever had, and my sister loved her pasta at Kings.
Luck of the draw maybe.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 12:44:06 PM »
We will not complain if a meal is too spicey or too bland as tastes vary and I prefer spicey where as better half does not. One restaurant last year served a pasta dish to my son, he didn't like it so left it. The owner came over to collect the plates and insisted that he have a replacement meal or desert.
We will not return to a place if the food is not up to much and the service is poor.
We have had the question a few times "was everything ok" and got a blank look when the answer was not "yes fine"

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 13:38:28 PM »
I think the most important thing is to decide if the meal is of poor quality as opposed to not suitable for your personal taste.

Anything that's meant to be hot served cold or luke warm would get returned by me however if the flavour is lacking or it's too salty I would quietly say so as that's my personal palate. I would not expect to pay for a dish that was incorrectly served & would always give the restaurant the opportunity to rectify my complaint. A quiet word gets whispered a long way...

Offline Carolyn1957

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 13:41:01 PM »
If it was something poorly cooked as opposed to just not to our taste, then yes we would say something quietly to the waiter. I'm thinking of not cooked (especially chicken) or overcooked/burnt. We would also say something if the meat was tough or too dry or if parts of the meal are cold. Having said that, cold chips and breakfasts seem to go hand in hand!

If it was something we didn't like we'd put it down to experience and either not choose that particular dish or that particular restaurant again.

Bad service is something else and we would probably not go there again.

If we did complain we would not do as some seem to and polish off everything on their plates and then say it was rubbish.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2011, 14:52:27 PM »
In an ideal world everything would be perfect all of the time but in reality it sometimes isn't...

From the restaurants perspective the best ways of monitoring and evaluating what is going on in your restaurant is to listen to what people eating there have to say... a constructive complaint is a free gift that can help you do better and is just as valuable as a rave review

Tips for making a complaint

- attract the attention of some one who actually cares or at least understands what you are saying; this will more than likely be the owner or manager. You may think your waiter has fluent English but often their knowledge of the language is limited to the menu and what is on it, to are you having a nice holiday, where do you come from and what football team do you support. Evidence of this is when your waiter eyes glaze whilst profusely nodding his/her head and smiles and says yes, yes, yes...  ;)

- raise your concerns straight away; if the meal is cold when it should be hot, or you think the meat and vegetables are past its use by date say so. An empty plate licked clean, or a plate that was taken away and the remains thrown away don't offer much in the way of evidence and definitely won't get you a refund or reduction

- speaking quietly and politely is far more likely to generate a sympathetic hearing and if worried about attracting attention then ask to speak somewhere quieter and away from other customers; note that endlessly reiterating the complaint won't make it any clearer than the first time

- if you really prefer not to say something at the time then these days most businesses can be contacted on line either directly by email, through forums like this or Trip Advisor. It is possible to simply send a private email and any owner worth their salt will care about you and your experience and take what you have to say seriously.

It may not help you personally but it may help the restaurant and others that eat there in the future.

Tips on how to get the best out of your night out

- don't go to an Indian restaurant and complain you haven't been served pasta

- ask about ingredients and explain allergies and aversions when you order; meals and desserts can often be prepared, cooked and/or presented without bread, nuts, parsley, peppers, tomato, onion, but never ever without garlic...

Tips for restaurant owners and managers

- be honest about what you are offering; if you serve Turkish food then people  that don't do "foreign" probably aren't going to enjoy eating there and conversely not everyone wants to eat roast dinners, English breakfast and anything but Turkish food in Turkey

- limit the menu (1) to dishes you know and do well; it isn't possible to please all of the people all of the time and the British are experts on what makes for a good Italian, Indian, Chinese, Thai, British and many other international cuisines so they have high expectations;

- limit the menu (2) to avoid having dishes that are unavailable which is irritating if its already taken fifteen minutes to decide what to order

- limit the menu (3) because it's, a) confusing and b). people really do wonder how it is possible to have a menu as thick as an encyclopaedia and all the meals to be freshly available

- limit the menu (4) for a faster more efficient service

- limit the menu (5) because Gordon Ramsey says so:

- beware the silent customer; an unhappy customer won't catch your eye, will look stiff and awkward, won't be engaged in animated conversation with partner or friends and will talk in a strained and stilted manner to you with reassurances that all is well when it very clearly isn't: and always ask if everything was ok when you notice a plate returning almost as full as it came; but, there are only so many ways and times you can ask if people have enjoyed their meal:

- don't overstretch yourself or your staff and don't be afraid to turn people away if you think the quality of your service or standards might suffer

- be honest about waiting times if you know there is likely to be a delay of more than 20-30 minutes for main courses.

- never be complacent and give all your waiters and chefs both positive and negative feedback; discuss and consider solutions together to avoid the same situation occurring again

- don't even bother trying to explain anything to someone who won't stop talking and every time you open your mouth tells you that they are not going to argue with you: this particular incident was a French man telling me they had waited 15 minutes for their main meal; I thought he must have meant 50 minutes because we average up to 20 minutes for a main course (which is normal for fresh food) to be served. Fast food is available just down the road at MacDonald's and Burger King!

Or, just do what I do - go and fetch Dogan

Extracts taken from notes to self: for my forthcoming novel on running a restaurant and surviving to tell the tale; Insallah! :D

Offline Fastlady

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2011, 15:42:50 PM »
Nichola, that was a very good and informative post, but for one point:  when you say 'never ever without garlic' are you serious?  
Along with many people I have seen rave reviews about Mozaik Bahce but have never tried it myself.  As a member of an, it would seem, exclusive club, I don't like garlic and always ensure my waiter knows that, whatever i order, I don't want garlic in it.  I have always been informed if I've ordered a dish in which garlic is included and so been able to choose an alternative (I tend to know now which dishes to avoid).  
Are you telling me that, if I come to Mozaik Bahce I won't be able to find a dish without garlic?
Am about to try King's Garden this evening - hopefully they'll be able to serve this peasant something 'sarimsak siz'!

Offline june

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2011, 15:51:01 PM »
Thats Brill Nichola.
xx

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf