Author Topic: What car to buy - opinions please  (Read 2830 times)

Offline Jim Fraser

What car to buy - opinions please
« on: February 13, 2012, 21:22:53 PM »
i'm having problems deciding which car to buy.
So far having looked at whats available locally its looking like a new one rather than second hand, and at the moment its a toss up between a Fiat Panda or a Dacia Sandero, but i also have taken a liking to some of the van based cars, as you definitely seem to get more for your money with them - so whats everyones opinions on the subject, especially regarding the tax and test differences.
Appreciate all comments, suggestions and offers of free cars.

Offline happy_flyer

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 21:55:08 PM »
I might be wrong but i think there may be a problem with you buying and driving a van type vehicle as they local authorities class them as commercial vehicles like taxi's and the like and they dont like that. I'm sure someone will put me right if i'm wrong.
From a simple mechanics point of view i would touch a fiat with a barge pole. This is just me.
Good luck in your search and keep us informed how the buying goes on.

Offline Eric

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 22:16:13 PM »
Doblo's, Piccaso's etc which have more than 2 seats are regarded as a panel van for taxation purposes.  Foreigners can buy and run these without any problems.  The post by the Aegean a while back was wrong and scare mongering.  My personal view, because of the road conditions here, would be to buy something which has a ground clearance which is more than a conventional saloon car.   A Kangoo, Piccaso, Sorrento etc. would fit this bill, in my opinion.

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 22:25:43 PM »
I had a Ford Combi connect and it was great. The only problem was that it wasclassified as one of these panel vans and I got done for speeding when I thought i was within the limit. The national speed limit for these vans is 10 KM less than what it is for a car.If i remember correctly the MOT is also different in that it has to be done earlier than a car. The dealer forgot to mention these things to me.

Offline Jim Fraser

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 22:30:30 PM »
Good point about ground clearance, an important point as the slope up to our parking area is very steep - have tried a few cars on it so far and the two i mentioned go up no problem, others with longer wheelbase or less clearance tend to make complaining crunching noises.

Offline Jim Fraser

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 22:33:03 PM »
Yes the 80 KPH commercial limit has already caught me out twice in the last 3 months.

Offline ovacik2

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 23:01:09 PM »
Jim your two choices are IMO just perfect. Depending on your proposed use. The little Fiat is a good car locally good ground clearanc suprisingly high driving position and the reliability of the 1,2 engine is fine these days we have one in UK economic too. The Sandaro Stepover in the prefered one 16" wheels great clearance the 1.5dci engine is very solid indeed, MPL/MPG is quite oustanding. 60/70 MPG on long runs. Ongoing servicing is not expensive at the Fethiye branch of Renar. Our drive in TR is a Renault 1.5 dci. We do like long journeys and the 1.5 dci has never missed a beat(FLW) now five years old. IMO the Stepway is a great all rounder. Good luck, with whatever you choose. New will give peace of mind for three years too.

Alan
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 23:07:55 PM by ovacik2 »

Offline Jim Fraser

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 20:32:23 PM »
Thanks for the input folks and after checking out every new car dealer in Fethiye, and after changing our minds about what we really needed (a few times), a decision was eventually made - so today took delivery of a Kia Venga (no i had never heard of them either) it was the size we needed, its a diesel, has a long warranty and it was heavily discounted as its a 2011 model.
Out of everything we tried our initial choices were too small so we went bigger, the Citroen Berlingo was the comfiest and had the most kit, but it was too big and the Renault Kangoo best value for money but also too big, so we tried everything in between.
So ask again in 5 years time and see if the choice was a good one.

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 22:29:37 PM »
I hope it gives you as good a service as my last 5 cars, all Kias! (not Venga as too small, mine were the Carens model).

Bedtime reading for you Jim: http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/venga_forum24.html

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 22:34:04 PM by Supacabby »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf