Author Topic: Calis is Cheap !  (Read 11680 times)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Calis is Cheap !
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 21:13:12 PM »
Our friend who moved to Turkey more than 10 years to go was telling us that at that time he could buy about 8 loaves for the equivalent of 1 lira. Now that is what you call inflation.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Re: Calis is Cheap !
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 21:25:07 PM »
Stand by for all the "dough" jokes :(

Offline Mark G

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2012, 21:43:27 PM »
We have just stopped off for a drink in a very ordinary looking pub in the Sultan Ahmet district of  Istanbul. We got two beers, a cheese burger and a bowl of soup. The bill....... 61 lira ! I thought they had made a mistake, but not so. 50cl of draft Efes was 13.5 lira, if we had chosen a bottle, that would have been 14.5 each.

In a funny sort of way, I didn't really mind paying that much, it's such a brilliant place to be. Maybe packed lunch tomorrow ?

I went to Scarborough once and the beer was £2.50 a pint. Then when I was in London it was nearer to £6.00. How can you compare Calis with Istanbul. They are a million miles apart in just about every way conceivable just like London and Scarborough. Probably the only thing Istanbul and Calis have in common is that Turkish is the main language spoken in both places.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2012, 22:13:47 PM »
We went to a restaurant in an Hotel in Istanbul.  It is called The Orient Express Hotel.  They have a menu outside and you get the lift up to the rooftop restaurant where you have a fabulous view over the city and down to the water and the boats.  There was a firework display the night we went.  We both thought the prices were really reasonable.  They do have an outside section  and one under cover with glass walls.

Offline Rimms

• Prolific Member
Calis is Cheap !
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2012, 07:20:28 AM »
This is getting even spookier, in a city that holds 20 million people, Baz identified the pub we went into and now Jacquie  has identified the hotel we are staying at and the restaurant we ate at the on Wednesday night !

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2012, 10:13:58 AM »
It's quite simple Rimms  once you join CBF you become physic and are tuned in via our mental conductor The Venerable Wizard Scunner.  ;) ;D
We also went into the pub mentioned, think the name draws you in. 
We stayed around the corner to you in the Sirkeci Konak which is the sister Hotel to the Orient.  If you go around they have a basement pool and sauna, a really good fish restaurant on street level and on the roof top, a restaurant and bar and also sun loungers.  We had a room with a balcony  looking directly on the park next to the  Topkapi Palace and used to watch the parrots with homes in the bottom half of the trees and the storks right on the top.   :o

Offline Rimms

• Prolific Member
Calis is Cheap !
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2012, 14:09:32 PM »
And to top it off, walking among the tens of thousands of people near Topkapi, we bump into Rushie from the Eyna. I'm now worried that CBF have developed their own version of find my IPhone and are tracking our every move !

Offline 160606

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2012, 15:37:15 PM »
Well being  members of CBFand your best friends we certainly are tracking your every move, and wait eagerly for your nightly update of what you've done and where you've been. Will be sad when tomorrow the update comes from home . Love and speak later.

Offline scorcher

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2012, 16:12:36 PM »
Mental conductor ? You're straight off his Christmas card list !

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf