Author Topic: Vojo Restaurant/Fun Pub  (Read 6237 times)

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
Vojo Restaurant/Fun Pub
« on: May 13, 2013, 23:42:38 PM »
Having just read the 18 pages of twaddle that I somehow originally missed  >:( I will say that at the moment the Vojo is in no way a "Fun Pub" but just a bar/restaurant. What their future "Fun" plans are I do not know.
As a restaurant, I have to say that tonight we had what was, without a doubt, the best fish and chips that we've had in Calis. The quality and quantity was fabulous although they still have a bit to learn about mushy peas. Looking round I saw several other nice looking dishes coming out.
The proprieters are Volkan, who has recently returned to his native Turkey after working in Glasgow for six years and Joanne, his partner, who is from Herts.
They have taken a five year lease on the hotel as well as the restaurant so they will need all the support they can get. As long as the standards are maintained they'll get it from me  :) I cannot imagine that they had anything to do with the threats.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Vojo Restaurant/Fun Pub
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 23:55:21 PM »
They didn't and I said they didn't, and I never once thought they did.

They seem two extremely pleasant people and again I wish them well. If I can assist in advertising any events or special nights they have I will be here and as normal will do what I can because (and only because) I know how bloody hard it is to get established out there. I don't want 10% or a free meal, I want to help.

But it does have to be said that the evidence so far is that they have attracted a clientèle that consists of people who kick passing dogs, or rip into passers by with a barrage of drunken foul and abusive language, and others who sit lecturing the whole place on their skewed opinions on everything in the entire World or where the Turkish have got it all wrong.

My knowledge of Calis isn't comprehensive, but what I do know is that new management often attracts people who aren't welcome in too many other bars. Or have bills elsewhere that they can't/don't want to pay.

And I think Jo and Volkan deserve better than that. I would suggest that they need to address that sooner rather than later and then get on with offering a great hotel and restaurant to all.

If I offended anyone, I'm not sorry.

Offline kenkay

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 01:32:22 AM »
There is obviously a lot more going on here than I have perceived. I shall keep quiet and watch with interest.

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 08:49:53 AM »
I've clearly missed the pages of twaddle too- well the pages pertaining to this particular discussion, theres plenty of twaddle I havent missed. At the risk of being a pain- which hotel are we referring to and is Vokan he of the Bus Stop and very smiley face?

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 12:14:49 PM »
Vojos is the old Boston's and last year was called Da Vinci and no.

Offline Andrew sings.....

• Newly Registered
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 13:48:33 PM »
Volkan and Jo are very, very nice people, and yes their fish and chips are to die for.  But the purpose of my reply is to clarify an unfortunate and probably unintended distortion of the truth - the dog kickers that I am aware of to date (and my dog has been kicked now on 2 separate occasions outside VOJOs) have been passers by and NOT clients of VOJOs - I just don't want people to think that the restaurant is full of unsavoury people, because in my experience it is not.  I have not seen or heard anything like Scunner describes whenever I have been sitting there, and the only abusive language I have heard initiated from the mouths of the dog kickers when they were challenged about their unacceptable behaviour.  As to the other examples quoted by Scunner, I cannot make comment other than to say I am sure that Volkan and Jo will deal with these people as appropriate.

But it does have to be said that the evidence so far is that they have attracted a clientèle that consists of people who kick passing dogs, or rip into passers by with a barrage of drunken foul and abusive language, and others who sit lecturing the whole place on their skewed opinions on everything in the entire World or where the Turkish have got it all wrong.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 14:29:11 PM »
I have not seen or heard anything like Scunner describes whenever I have been sitting there, and the only abusive language I have heard initiated from the mouths of the dog kickers when they were challenged about their unacceptable behaviour.  As to the other examples quoted by Scunner, I cannot make comment other than to say I am sure that Volkan and Jo will deal with these people as appropriate.

Thanks for that Andrew - the instances I refer to are

http://www.calis-beach.co.uk/forum/grumpy_old_men_section_and_women_pmt/sound_someone_you_know_51149.msg318276.html#msg318276

and in the same topic

http://www.calis-beach.co.uk/forum/grumpy_old_men_section_and_women_pmt/sound_someone_you_know_51149.msg318293.html#msg318293

One bad apple perhaps...but it only takes one to make maybe 20 decide not to return. Not ideal for two young people trying to establish and compete on the seafront...

Offline quackers

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 05:57:48 AM »
Went to VOJO's last nıght and yes the fısh and chıps were lovely. However the starters are expensıve. Our party had Meze for 2 and up came 2 spoonfuls of Ezme 2 spoonfuls of Haıdarı a tomato rose, 4 stıcks of carrot ,4 slıces of cucumber and 2 Sıgara Borek cut ın half cost 15 tl. We had to ask for bread. Another observatıon was the huge A Frame advertısıng board on the prom advertısıng Karaoke tonıght. I thought thıs type of advertısıng was ıllegal. I remember the Polıce goıng down the prom and hıgh street tellıng everyone to remove the boards and only 1 advertısıng board per bar/restaurant was allowed next to the bar/restaurant or they would be fıned. Will we go agaın? Probably, the staff were lovely,and for the Fısh and Chıps .

Offline kenkay

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 06:59:15 AM »
I think we had soup for starters and, although not sure, I think it was priced as most of the other seafront restaurants. One thing we did decide was, that due to the measure of fish and chips, we would skip the starter next time   :)
Just to diversify I had a lovely fish soup at Eftalya and that wa 10tl.

Offline tonysue

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 10:25:05 AM »
This is a new venture by a lovely family who I for one wish every success. They all all work extremely hard to make everybody welcome and nothing is too much trouble. It may not be for your sophisticated types who enjoy fine dining and the ambiance of a Calis sunset, but if you are up for a bit of dad dancing and cheesy party moves its good fun. It will be very popular in the summer months with families I'm sure. The food is great, the efe's is 5 lira and the sunset is free. What else do you want!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf