Author Topic: Only one bad experience - at EFTALYA  (Read 2768 times)

Offline Clioman2

Only one bad experience - at EFTALYA
« on: June 26, 2013, 12:22:16 PM »
just returned from our usual two weeks in June and can highly recommend Cafe Soul, Sekuls 1 and 2, Meeting Point and Bambu. The same cannot be said of EFTALYA, where the Orient Express used to be.
After finishing the starters we waited for over fifty minutes for the mains; our looks towards the kitchen after half-an-hour prompted a visit from the puller-in(cap on backwards) who assured us that "my chef is making something very special it will be here soon". Twenty minutes later the meals arrived, two lots of lamb cutlets, one chicken dish and a curry. For a start the vegetables(runner beans & carrots were hardly warmed through let alone cooked; The chicken had dried out and was crisp around the edges (probably from waiting for the cutlets), and the cutlets themselves were the worst we've ever been served in Calis; the majority of the 'meat' was gristle and one of the cutlets comprised solely of bone.
Needless to say when the waiter came over to find only the curry dish finished he looked a little shocked. I politely told him the the food was unacceptable and what was wrong. Off he went to the boss and after a little conflab the bill was presented in full. Not one member of staff even offered an apology. We paid(no tip) & left and on the way out i told the puller-in that he made promises that his chef couldn't keep. A couple of nights later puller-in professed not to remember there being any problems when i refused his invite for another meal.
All in all the very worst example of food preparation/cooking, service and customer care we've had; as regards the cutlets, just poor(cheap) from the outset. Good to see though that there are still plenty of other restaurants who have decent(and i stress decent) standards in Calis.
EFTALYA - One to avoid

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Only one bad experience - at EFTALYA
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 22:21:52 PM »
I think some places maybe have a bad night for one reason our another. .  My daughter and family had a lovely meal in this restaurant and recommended it to us.  We tried it and we also had lovely meals.  I had fish my husband had lamb. However after two weeks my daughter told us the only bad meal she had was in one of the Serkuls... So it goes to show that one person loves a place the other hates it.   
I would say, it may be best to  try the restaurants for yourself and make up your own mind. 

Offline Partygirl

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 02:21:07 AM »
We ate there. Wasn't impressed with the food or the service. Will not be going back. Wasn't awful but not very enjoyable. There are plenty of better restaurants.

Offline mac2010

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 08:29:36 AM »
just returned from our usual two weeks in June and can highly recommend Cafe Soul, Sekuls 1 and 2, Meeting Point and Bambu. The same cannot be said of EFTALYA, where the Orient Express used to be.
After finishing the starters we waited for over fifty minutes for the mains; our looks towards the kitchen after half-an-hour prompted a visit from the puller-in(cap on backwards) who assured us that "my chef is making something very special it will be here soon". Twenty minutes later the meals arrived, two lots of lamb cutlets, one chicken dish and a curry. For a start the vegetables(runner beans & carrots were hardly warmed through let alone cooked; The chicken had dried out and was crisp around the edges (probably from waiting for the cutlets), and the cutlets themselves were the worst we've ever been served in Calis; the majority of the 'meat' was gristle and one of the cutlets comprised solely of bone.
Needless to say when the waiter came over to find only the curry dish finished he looked a little shocked. I politely told him the the food was unacceptable and what was wrong. Off he went to the boss and after a little conflab the bill was presented in full. Not one member of staff even offered an apology. We paid(no tip) & left and on the way out i told the puller-in that he made promises that his chef couldn't keep. A couple of nights later puller-in professed not to remember there being any problems when i refused his invite for another meal.
All in all the very worst example of food preparation/cooking, service and customer care we've had; as regards the cutlets, just poor(cheap) from the outset. Good to see though that there are still plenty of other restaurants who have decent(and i stress decent) standards in Calis.
EFTALYA - One to avoid

Why wait till the end of your meal to complain. I find the best way to deal with it is at the beginning even if it means sending food back at least they get a chance to fix the issue. By the way I am not defending this place just can not understand the logic.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 11:07:13 AM »
We'd a lovely meal there the first week of our holiday.  Service and food was spot on

Offline marina

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 17:57:11 PM »
No complaints from us either.  We ate there in May and had really nice meal with good service.

Offline Steve A

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 20:34:32 PM »
I think Jacqui is right,there are off nights,there are those places that are not as good as others and of course there is personal taste.Whats good for the goose is not always good for the gander so to speak.
Ive been going to Calis 7 years and never had a really bad meal just some not better than others but predominantly goodThose on the front are probably worse,further back they have to work a bit harder,traditional and family run are spot on.I suppose its like that all over really.

Offline Clioman2

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 05:38:43 AM »
Good to see that for most of the time the food is OK but the thing that annoyed me the most about this experience was not the poor food but the lack of an apology, and with that the total lack of respect for their customers. The good service only lasts whilst you are happy; if they have upset you they don't care, they just want paying.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf