Author Topic: mulberry tree  (Read 7732 times)

Offline snowtop

Re: mulberry tree
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 07:50:51 AM »
I think this is getting a bit personal but I see where puma is coming from.  We have been there a lot of times, their chicken pide is the tops!!, however, its a case of , I want to talk to-day or I am not in the mood today.  Just a case of hot and cold, more often cold. She is however a good woman who would help you if you needed it like I did a few years ago

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 08:17:27 AM »
As I said this lady is probably happy inside and she was very kind to keep Lynda's orders, but as someone who had a shop for many years I know that it's important when in business to always have a happy face and be pleasant and chatty with customers, because if you don't. customers may go elsewhere.
I am also amazed that someone from Ireland is offended by a phrase I have heard since i was a child.  My Father was from Belfast.  I spent long periods of time staying with my Grandmother who had a cottage in Armagh and used this phase so often.  As do my husband and his family who come from Bangor. It's a phase that perfectly describes someone who looks unhappy and it's a first for me to her an Irish person be offended by it.  I think it's best not to return to Ireland as you will be offended on a daily basis.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 08:21:24 AM »
She was also a stalwart of the campaign to free the dolphins and couldn't do enough to help us and raised a lot of money for us too. I happen to know what was going on for her with her family a couple of years ago when this was originally raised and while I won't be sharing the details I will say please don't judge a book by its cover. She is an exceptionally kind woman with some health issues that would make the best of us seem a bit off now and then.

Please bring an end to these public personal criticisms. it is not nice and can be very hurtful. She was extremely upset the last time and I sincerely hope that she will not hear about this again. Thank you.

Offline angieebabe

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 08:36:42 AM »
Well said Nicola

Give the lady a break if her food is good , enjoy ....

Offline cinders

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 08:37:48 AM »
I happen to know what was going on for her with her family a couple of years ago when this was originally raised and while I won't be sharing the details I will say please don't judge a book by its cover. She is an exceptionally kind woman with some health issues that would make the best of us seem a bit off now and then.
Please bring an end to these public personal criticisms. it is not nice and can be very hurtful. She was extremely upset the last time and I sincerely hope that she will not hear about this again. Thank you.

Fully agree, never know what is going on with others.  :)...I have also  met many happy smiley faces and chatty owners who would rob you blind....  :angel:

Offline apollo

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 10:02:30 AM »
I agree with Nichola.

Give the woman a break. These personal and hurtful attacks are not necessary.

She must be doing something right. The Mulberry seems to be busy most of the time.

Offline Eric

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 10:15:00 AM »
Well said Nichola.  We have known Christine for a number of years.  She is kind hearted, generous and has helped many causes over the years none more so than the Dolphin battle.  She has a very dry sense of humour which I like. She would not spread gossip or tittle tattle about anyone else so why do people on here do it about her?  It is very hurtful, crass and shows the EPK mentality of some people.  How would you feel if some one was saying things like that about you on an open forum?  Enough now!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 10:21:30 AM »
Sorry Scunner, I'm very defensive of my Irish heritage.....this is not the forum for banging on about the rights and wrongs of who did what to whom in Ulster

I must say, you must be very defensive of an Irish heritage you don't appear to fully understand. The phrase "a face like a Lurgan spade" refers to having a long face, like the blade of a common gardening tool. Possibly a particularly long type used centuries ago to dig the Lurgan canal. Several possible explanations of the phrase are offered at http://www.ulsterancestry.com/newsletter-content.php?id=180 - and not one of them anything to do with politics or religion. It has absolutely nothing to do with the rights and wrongs of people doing things to each other in Ulster at all.

As is often the case, the people who look the hardest for things to be offended by are usually the ones who spend the most time feeling offended.

As for the topic (as it was intended) - I agree we need to tread a careful line between observation and personal comment. I agree (and indeed agreed) that the lady is not a laugh a minute, and I personally would not like it to be taken as a personal attack. Just a statement of fact. I'd also hope others would not wish to be insulting too.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 10:25:29 AM »
Eric perhaps you can help me by quoting specifically where EPK mentalities are exhibited in this topic as I am not keen on such things. I note 'sourpuss' in the original post - the reason being that it was an observation on the service received. I can't find any other personal comments other than to say the service is efficient but without much chat or smiles. I know that to be the case from personal experience - is that insulting? We can't all be the life and soul like you and I  ;)

Of course, if members would prefer a "nice comments only" forum, that would be much easier for us to administrate.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 10:36:44 AM »
I don't think these are personal attacksl. They are merely observational. The woman always looks miserable and hardly says a word to anyone.  So customers are speaking as they find.

Yes, it's sad when someone has personal and health problems. It's good to know she gives to animal charities and is a nice person despite her sad face. However, to customers who do not have this information and visit the cafe they see what appears to be an unfriendly dour person. This can put a real downer on a holiday meal.   Would a smile and a few words really be difficult?  I love her cake and coffee, it's tops, so I have nothing bad to say about the food at all.

On a different not. Thanks for that link Scunner it's very interesting and some information in it that I sure Phil used to know by heart as he had a Student Job showing tourists around in the Spade Mill at the Ulster Folk Museum at Cultra. We have been on many occasions and he always says he enjoyed his time there.
It's a lovely place and I would say a visit to the area is not complete without going to this wonderful place. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf