Author Topic: NHS Reforms could invalidate SGK  (Read 5547 times)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
NHS Reforms could invalidate SGK
« on: October 24, 2013, 08:02:04 AM »
You may have been following the news that the NHS are cracking down on health tourism, as part of these reforms they are planning to allow expats with more than 7 National Insurance Contributions to become eligible for NHS treatment, which sounds to be good news, however in the article copied from yellali.com (I couldn't link to it directly) it looks like these changes may invalidate your membership to the SGK scheme in Turkey.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Following our blog post from June 30th outlining proposed NHS reforms for expats, recent developments have warranted a follow up!

This comes direct from the British Consulate in Turkey who has just released a document containing a set of revised NHS strategies. The main objective for this is to reduce NHS expenditure and ceasing the resource drain on foreign medical tourism.

So what changes have been proposed? The latest NHS initiatives suggest that non EEA citizens who are temporary may be subject to a health tax when entering the country.

Under these guidelines, it means that expats will not have to pay to access any NHS related services as necessary when returning home.

Other proposals suggest recovering costs from “temporary immigrants” as it may be a prerequisite to hold some form of comprehensive health insurance.

This would allow expats to pay for any costly treatment provided by the NHS. According to the latest NHS document, they are swaying towards imposing a possible immigrant health tax

However, there may be special dispensation for those possessing special visa groups, whilst those possessing private insurance may simply have the ability to relinquish their rights to complimentary NHS healthcare. This means certain individuals many not have to pay any levies.

But if they do need urgent medical care in the UK there will be a full amount to pay. It is believed that the Home Office intends to provide counsel on this future migrant healthcare charge.

In spite of the crackdowns by the British government to curb the abuse of health related services, expatriates do enjoy certain benefits.

Yet this scheme has significantly changed with proposals confirming that expats qualify for free healthcare if they have made seven years of National Insurance contributions.

In addition, the changes set in motion by the NHS means for those expats in Turkey may find difficulties to obtain the SGK health insurance.

This is because to qualify for SGK insurance it clearly states you should not be permitted to any extra governmental health initiatives belonging to any other country.

Expats who possess or would like SGK health insurance in Turkey may find out that NHS entitlement could affect their SGK.

At present, the terms of SGK clearly state that to qualify for this healthcare scheme; you must not be eligible for any government related healthcare schemes in any other country.

As soon as free NHS care has been introduced, those who have this insurance will have to declare this to the relevant SGK offices. This is to discover whether their policies have been affected.

Having access to free healthcare is welcome respite for many expats covering both those returning to the UK permanently as well as visiting.

Meanwhile, other good news includes individuals who are still officially listed with a doctor can potentially qualify to medication via prescriptions.

The NHS facts are figures are worth a mention as the current 2012/13 budget stands at around £109bn with foreign visitors responsible for just 0.1% of the total health service outlay.

So it’s good news all round for expats who can certainly reap the benefits when it comes to seeking out healthcare solutions in Britain.

Now that’s a healthy conclusion.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: NHS Reforms could invalidate SGK
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 08:13:05 AM »

So it’s good news all round for expats who can certainly reap the benefits when it comes to seeking out healthcare solutions in Britain.

Now that’s a healthy conclusion.

Not good news if you become seriously ill in a Turkey though.

Offline janmack

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 09:40:44 AM »
If true, not good news at all.  Not everyone wants to go back to the UK for treatment especially for something serious.

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 10:16:21 AM »

I think the point is, that you are not covered in Turkey by the NHS, you have to be in the UK.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 10:30:14 AM »
No - I think the point is if you are covered by the NHS whilst in the UK then you will not be covered by SGK in Turkey.

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 11:34:50 AM »

What if you are not in the UK, you seem to be the expert Stoop!!!!

I have NO cover while in Turkey, have not been to the UK since moving here, therefore no NHS cover=SSk entitlement.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 12:30:59 PM »
Baz - I'm only reading the article which says new rules (if the come into force) mean that you only have to have contributed for 7 years in order to obtain NHS cover... so if you are an ex-pat with this level of NI contributions it follows that you will be covered by the NHS. I'm not even a novice on SGK but having read the article it suggests if you are covered in the UK then you will not be allowed to join the SGK. Has that not always been the case?

"At present, the terms of SGK clearly state that to qualify for this healthcare scheme; you must not be eligible for any government related healthcare schemes in any other country."

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 13:50:50 PM »

I'm not covered by any other government related healthcare while I'm in Turkey.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 16:22:52 PM »
"At present, the terms of SGK clearly state that to qualify for this healthcare scheme; you must not be eligible for any government related healthcare schemes in any other country."

No - but if you have paid 7 years into the UK NI then you will be covered in another country. That's the crux of the argument. If you are covered by the NHS in the UK then you will not be allowed to go into SGK.

That's my understanding anyway and to be honest I've not seen any other interpretation similar to yours but I hope you are correct and everyone else is wrong - I really do.

Not much point in me discussing this further as my understanding is quite plain to see and so is yours. Best to agree to differ and wait for the whoile thing to get sorted - hopefully for the best as far as ex-pats are concerned. Some will favour being covered by the NHS in the UK again and others will prefer to be able to stay in SGK and get their treatment in Turkey. Time will tell who gets what they want and who doesn't.

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 16:52:38 PM »
So if I tell SGK that I worked on oil rigs and never paid 7 years of N.I contributions, I guess as long as I keep paying my monthly contributions I will remain in SGK?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf