Author Topic: New Patisserie in Calis  (Read 8521 times)

Offline Somerset Simon

New Patisserie in Calis
« on: December 26, 2013, 19:16:50 PM »
The new patisserie opened yesterday and we had to try a cake tonight, good position on the site of the Bombay Corner on the dolphin roundabout, should be a good position for the summer season offering something different!

« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 19:29:00 PM by Somerset Simon »

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
Re: New Patisserie in Calis
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 19:20:50 PM »
What were the prices like Simon?

Offline Somerset Simon

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 19:36:04 PM »
2 coffees, 1 baklava and 1 cheesecake (as per photo) 20 lira, plus free Turkish doughnut balls (no idea what they were called). Cakes were better than Sultan's in Fethiye but it is only day 2!!!

They will be selling ice creams in the summer.

Offline UPtownr

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 20:23:25 PM »
Ah, so it must have been you, 'Somerset Simon', the couple that was sitting on the corner table this evening  :) Hello! Yes we were also waiting for that place to open. It is part of the HUNER Pide & Fırın (Boulangerie or Bread Bakery) locally owned mini-chain. They have one in Taşyaka quarter (diagonally across from one of the Sultan Pastry Shop branches there). They just opened recently one in Tuzla quarter, also with brickstone oven as the one in Tasyaka, and now this is the latest one. Though this one has no actual brickstone oven on premises. They are bringing everything fresh over from the other one/s. Nevertheless, Calis needed a bakery like that where you can just lounge and relax in a spacey (is this a word?) environment. The owner actually told us that he wants people to come and stay a while -not just eat and run.

I just created their location onFourSquare while I was there sipping tea and eating an apple filled cookie. uploaded some photos as well.. so go on people, give it a try and check in with 4Square app on your smart phone and tell others how your experience with the place was.

The owner is a relative of the owner of the other Huner (3) chain bakeries. So he gets to use the name and gets the bakery products directly from him, as well as the breads. We are particularly fond of the Ottoman Bread, now they renamed it to Huner Bread -it is round and multi grained and multi textured. Though it comes later than the rest of the breads as it needs to cook longer and in lower temperatures then the rest of the more common breads, around 11am, sometimes 2pm if it is a busy bake day they tell us. We've tried all their other whole grained breads, they are not bad at all as well, though the 'Ottoman' is a winner. Their dark, round 'Köy Ekmeği' is great to by the way.

anyway, sorry for my babbling. I love it when I see local entrepreneurship and want everyone to support such brave attempts. The owner is from Kayaköy. He runs (or ran?) the KayaPark restaurant there and now he feels out of his element down here, but his wife likes it down here so he is giving it a go -let's not disappoint him -as long as he does his best to serve our needs properly. He is eager, energetic and ready to make adjustments to make everyone feel welcome. Case in point, when we made a comment that the lights were too bright inside, he immediately said it can be taken care of and cut the lights down to half  :). He admits the fireplace could have been built in the center of the great room, so more people could enjoy it, and says if the business picks in the summer he might do that for next winter. It is the second day he opened his doors and they switched the layout of the couches and tables once already... cute.

Offline buzz58

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 21:28:20 PM »
Will have to try this place when we are next in Calis,love a good coffee and a cake or two.
My sister lives in Side and they have a fab place we call into called the Doruk,they do the most wonderful Ice Creams in tall glasses and very fancy,could just eat one now even though it's only 3c here at the moment.

Offline UPtownr

• Newly Registered
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 21:58:29 PM »
Ah, just one more word for the critical minds -he said he purchased the latest and greatest LAVAZZA commercial coffee machine, but the technician is arriving this week to train them on it, so it won't be operational till Monday. so till then there is a stand by JACOBS COFFEE automatic coffee maker, which I must admit is not up to par to my standards.

also no phone line just yet so, that means no Credit Card swiping and no WiFi till then. So be gentle until those things are ironed out, and go there with loose change and get bread, pastries and tea  ;)

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 06:32:47 AM »
Well it looks lovely and well worth a visit after reading your post - and you are right we should all support our local businesses or we will only have the supermarkets to visit as in the UK and then we will "long for the good old days" - so do it now :D

Offline tuzlachap

• AWAY TOO MUCH!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 12:42:15 PM »
Their stone oven bakery opened late Summer at the bottom of our Sokak. Excellent selection of bread and buns. The best bit is that is only a short walk away.

TC ;D ;D

Offline Bevsie56

• Newly Registered
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 15:49:18 PM »
Been to Huner Patisserie a few times now, i know its new but its always nice and clean and has comfy furniture to sit at inside and out. The food and drinks are always yummy, prices are good, and Naki and all the other staff are really pleasant and welcoming, will definately be taking my visitors for a cake or two   ;)

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 18:43:00 PM »
Perfect to watch the world go by when waiting for the 'Dolly' home - can't wait.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf