Author Topic: New Patisserie in Calis  (Read 8520 times)

Offline flipper

Re: New Patisserie in Calis
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 07:02:02 AM »
we went in yesterday it was very good great chairs out side to sit in a very good choice of cakes
coffee was good rasberry crumble was delicious.good situation. he ask our views and what we thought.
it will be a good for us and the tourist.   

Offline busybee

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 07:17:41 AM »
Its a beautiful bright, shiny, place and gives that corner a massive face lift. 

While we were waiting for our bus, popped in, for a cheese cake, take away, 5TL, for Mick. which he thoroughly enjoyed, with icecream of course!!!  I tried a bit, tasted like Bim cheesecake, really don't think Turks, can make it, like the English do.

We shall certainly be having a lounge, coffee and trying everything else as it all looks so appetizing.

Offline Elsa Padfield

• Minehead, UK
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 17:33:11 PM »
Well, good for them and how kind to get it up and ready for us to arrive on 30th after not visiting for 2 years! Long story, we really miss being there so often,  but really just coming over to close bank accounts and things.

Offline villain

• The most unpopular poster in the village
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 12:22:38 PM »
I think this place deserves a bump, just because I went here so often on my recent hols.

Basically, I'm addicted to baklava, and I reckon that this is the place to get it in Calis. Works out about 1 turkish lira per piece (usually bought a slab of 12-15 pieces, which they box up for you.

It's also the place to buy your bog-standard ("ekmek normal" ;) bread for 75 kurus. Other places such as the little mini-markets usually charge more (I know, it's only pence) but the main problem is that it never seems to be fresh elsewhere. This is the proper crusty, freshly baked stuff, not the days old loaves which are all soft.

The next bit, I'm a bit woolly about what it's called. It's the feta cheese pastry (peynir borek?) and the flat squares of feta/spinach. No idea what that's called, but the greeks call it spanakopita (sp.). These things are a staple in Turkish patisseries like Huner. I urge you to try it. I took it away in a little polystyrene box after they had cut it up into smaller pieces, jumped on a dolmus back to Koca Calis and it was still lovely and warm for the family to gorge on back in our apartment.

Nobody in the shop spoke decent english, but I got by using a typical Brit-abroad mixture of pointing and my huge Turkish word-power (you know, "Good morning", "thanks" and numbers up to no more than 29 (I can never remember what "thirty" is, because there isn't a 30 lira banknote. Plus, even with my baklava habit, I don't really need to go above about 15).

I also stopped once and had a couple of turkish coffees and some pastries and the bill was a whole 9 lira. They were genuinely shocked and gave me a "are you sure?" expression when I offered an absolutely massive, whole 4 lira tip because it was all so nice.

I know Huner is a chain (I spotted a couple of others I think) but this place definitely gets my stamp of approval.

Offline H01322

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 15:26:45 PM »
Went in here a few times when we were on hols in July for coffee/tea and cake.  We were really impressed.  Cheesecake, cherry pie and "hedgehog" cake were delicious and very reasonable too.   A very nice place to just sit and people watch.  Also if you have eyes bigger than your belly they will box up whatever's left for you to take home for later.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 22:28:20 PM »
The Taşyaka branch of Huner are the bakery that make our bread for us, so if you like the bread that we serve with the meze and some of the main meals you can get it there.

I call it Ramazan bread because you used to be only able to buy it during Ramazan. I think it's actually called Pide bread, but I'll check and correct if it's called something different.

I don't know how much they make and stock each day because they make it to order twice a day specially for us.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 01:39:06 AM »
Ah, just one more word for the critical minds -he said he purchased the latest and greatest LAVAZZA commercial coffee machine, but the technician is arriving this week to train them on it, so it won't be operational till Monday. so till then there is a stand by JACOBS COFFEE automatic coffee maker, which I must admit is not up to par to my standards.

also no phone line just yet so, that means no Credit Card swiping and no WiFi till then. So be gentle until those things are ironed out, and go there with loose change and get bread, pastries and tea   ;)

Didn't take you long to crawl out from wherever stone you reside under when another one of your "pet businesses" is mentioned on CBF, did it?

In my opinion,  the guy would do better on simple word of mouth recommendation than another one of your sycophantic and patronising posts.

Oh, but wait, Keith told you that before, didn't he...

Knob.

JF (posting personally, not as an admin  :)  )

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 12:35:50 PM »
Bit  harsh John... Why did it take the best part of a year to respond to him?  Just curious. Or does he do this a lot.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 13:26:38 PM »
Because I missed the date on his post, too busy reading the content - if I'd seen it the first time round I'd have said the same.

Yeah he's done it before; this bloke seems to think that folks need encouraged to use local businesses, in Turkey!  Thank you, but I think most folks who live in the Fethiye area are quite happy using local businesses and really don't need it rammed down their throats in his pseudo evangelistic manner.

Damn...  I don't usually slip up like that   :)

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf