Author Topic: Shanghai Blues  (Read 15697 times)

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
Shanghai Blues
« on: March 30, 2014, 07:58:46 AM »
Had a bit of a shock last night, I really like the food and different dishes served here, but when their new menu arrived and I saw the increase in some of their prices, thought I was going to need a bank loan  ;)  Anyone who likes their duck dishes be prepared,  all duck prices now 49.90 lira

Example i-e  duck in hot sauce   old price 36.50 lira
                                                                                                                                  new price 49.90 lira

now that's what you call an increase, is it not?  of course i blame the otters for eating all the ducks down the canals.  ;)  :)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Shanghai Blues
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 08:25:01 AM »
That is expensive, even by U.K. standards.  I always notice there is not a lot of duck on menus in the Calis/Fethiye area.  I have never seen it in the supermarkets either.
It's obviously not farmed as much as it is in the U.K.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 08:36:58 AM »
Has the rest gone up much? Only went for first time recently and loved it and was considering the occasional Saturday night treat.

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 08:39:48 AM »
Everything gone up 5 lira plus. :(

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 08:46:16 AM »
Got to pay for the new Shanghai Blues restaurant due to open soon in Olu Deniz some how. : :)

Is it me, and before any new menu, but do the prices in Calis SB appear to be more expensive than the Hisaranu SB, particularly the absence of the key set menu?

Offline philrose

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 08:50:58 AM »
Yes a shame! Still excellent food, but a hell of a price jump, you are talking an average increase on a meal for 4 of 30%. I know the prices have not increased since they opened but this is too much.:(

Have they shot themselves in the foot, do you think?

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 09:12:50 AM »
Having recently received the new wholesale prices for items I purchase (after I'd had a bit of a hissy fit) I got Doğan to help me work out, maths not being my strong point, the real cost of the new exchange rates and it works out at about 25-30% for items that are priced and purchased in US$ or Euros as many things are. I hope this makes sense!

So I think it's reasonable to say that we can all expect to see some increases in prices which will largely be offset by the benefits of getting more ₺ when changing money from the £, € and $.

If you work out the cost of the duck meal meal at the old price at 2.7 and the new price at 3.65 you will see it works out the same.

Bananas used to be 5₺ and now they are 7₺.

It's the Turkish people I feel most sorry for as their incomes are in ₺ and they mostly won't have the same advantage as most of us do.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 09:27:18 AM »
Yes that makes sense Nichola. Win win for tourists though.
Its a shame they dont have a set menu there, we did suggest but they seemed to have heard it many times before and aren't going to do it.

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 09:31:24 AM »
Still doing the set menu at Shine Indian Hisaronu 20tl fantastic value.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 09:33:05 AM »
Oh yes...I'm still dreaming about the chicken makkani. Best way be ever had anywhere.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf