Author Topic: Shanghai Blues  (Read 15697 times)

Offline Jack13

Re: Shanghai Blues
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 09:36:58 AM »
egg fried rice up from 4.75lira to 7.90lira. quite a hike.

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 09:50:55 AM »
Frozen ducks 14 tl per kilo in pork shop .  ;)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 10:51:04 AM »
I understand the point that Nichola makes about those items that have to be imported and are going to cost more as the TL has fallen significantly against most currencies, especially the Dollar and Euro.  However, Turkey produces much of the food it consumes and therefore their prices - aside from any specific harvest shocks or world prices demands and price for food etc. - should be relatively stable.  I do recognise that Turkish produced food will be affected by indirect costs in their production and supply, such as fuel or imported equipment, but given that the other significant cost of labour has not risen much, if at all, then price hikes like these suggest someone along the supply chain is profiteering. :o :o :(

Oh yes on the banana front that's a great example, whilst the imported bananas have gone up to 7, the Turkish variety remain in the no or little change price band of 3 to 5 TL.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 11:23:21 AM by usedbustickets »

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 13:18:50 PM »
As oil and gas are all imported and priced in US$ there is inevitably going to be price rises and probably more significantly higher than we are used to. The cost of living has gone up, higher staff wages need to be paid and staff insurance (like SGK) is always hiked up every year. How they determine that hike I have no idea but it's not insignificant.

I agree to a certain extent with what UBT says but again think that anyone whether tourist or those that receive an income in foreign currency are going to be ok. We all had a bonus last year when the rates went haywire and prices remained the same in restaurants, bars and shops but this year my guess is that prices will equate roughly to what they were last year before the exchange rates went crazy when the exchange rate is taken into account.

We are, as you know a successful restaurant, always busy with a high turnover but believe me when I say you would be extremely surprised how little is actually profit when you take all the running costs into account. I made a list once and I was well onto the second side of A4 before I gave up. Not that we are complaining we love what we do and our happy staff team are well rewarded which is as it should be if like us you believe in sharing our success with those that help us achieve it.

Offline Marggie

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 13:58:16 PM »
Good post Nichola

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2014, 16:24:17 PM »
Meat is expensive in Turkey, always has been and probably always will be. 

Out of curiosity I have just looked at our local Chinese restaurant and the Duck Menu, quarter duck £8.50  Half Duck £16.50 Whole Duck £33  Served with Spring Onions cucumber and pancakes and Hoisin Sauce rice extra.

Sliced Roast Duck in Hot sauce veg and rice extra  £8.60

So, 49TL appears to be quite reasonable.

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2014, 16:33:27 PM »
But was 36.50 lira not more reasonable Loz, and im quite  sure the duck in your local is a lot fresher and tastier than this imported meat.   ;) ps £8.60 is 31 lira here, not 49.90 which you think is reasonable.  :)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 16:44:52 PM by desmartinson »

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2014, 17:54:28 PM »
you need to tell us how much Duck, quarter, half or whole. 

It is like stating Roast dinners 20TL or £6.99  and would that include the potatoes and veg or just the meat.  If I wanted to eat a Kutis restaurant then I would be paying much much more than any prices quoted.  How much does it cost to eat at Dragonara in Hisaronu these days? 

They do breed Ducks in Turkey. but they taste different because they go wackwack in UK they go QuackQuack  :D  yet not as tasty as the fake ones   ;)

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2014, 19:19:44 PM »
The size of duck portion you are asking about Loz is sliced duck in a 20cm by 10 cm foil carton with hot sauce and nothing else. please don't tell me that is good value at 49.90 lira. : :)

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2014, 19:57:01 PM »
for that size carton not bad for Turkey, but then again may be they go more meat   ;)

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/Default.aspx?PageID=238&NID=30133&NewsCatID=341

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf