Author Topic: Best Restaurants - No Longer With Us  (Read 5716 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Best Restaurants - No Longer With Us
« on: May 11, 2014, 18:34:40 PM »
I was thinking about some great places to eat that are now gone - bars too maybe - and I thought I'd share:

Sultans Restaurant - now Bella Mammas - did the "standard" Calis menu but everything was brilliant. Staff, meals, drinks, portions - a classic.

Otantik - became the first home of the Bus Stop. Lovely place, remember Tony Bennett being the head waiter.

Birlik (possibly) in Fethiye. PTT behind you, cross road and up side road facing you, last corner of first block on right side. Wonderful lokanta.

Birlik
(definitely): On Koca Calis beach - brilliant place, especially in winter when you ate inside. If you were lucky someone would have raked the floor for you.

Susuz - on Dolphin Roundabout next to Meri Bar. Used to be low quality Indian restaurant I think   ;) - too big to get an atmosphere but some of the food was out of this World, I used to lunch there almost daily.

Lighthouse - A revelation in it's heyday - modern dishes all cooked wonderfully and the bonus of Louise (oh ok and Phil).

Sardunya: All too brief a life - had some great meals and some equally great nights in there, with the charming Cihan in charge.

Kale Park: Ended up as a bit of a joke but at one time was the best service and food combo Fethiye had to offer - magnificent.

Harem Loved it, the food was always good, without being great but worth it just to spend your money with a great man - we loved chatting with Mehmet.

Bars:

Post Office: Ok no the "original" one but the one last on the right before the bridge. I doubt anyone who remembers it would omit it from their list of gone but not forgotten faves.

Bus Stop: The original bus stop, in it's early times was fab - we were there the day it opened.

Hopefully some memories stirred there - please add others   :)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Best Restaurants - No Longer With Us
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 19:24:36 PM »
Kale Park  Really miss that place.

Caddie Cafe, a chilled out place with a lovely top floor restaurant with great views of Fethiye Marina.   Pity the earthquake took that place away

La Teras. My most favourite place ever to eat in Calis Beach.  Loved to sit up there and people watch.  The food was lovely and the staff absolutely perfect.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 21:05:35 PM »

Sardunya: ...and some equally great nights in there

.... a "just one more" kinda place for sure  :)

Post Office:  I doubt anyone who remembers it would omit it from their list of gone but not forgotten faves

We certainly wouldn't - a great place.  :)

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 23:56:49 PM »
Ah, nostalgia just isn't what it used to be !   ;) 8)

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 00:00:02 AM »
Ah got a bit nostalgic there for a minute. Got to agree with most of those Keith but have to add Orient 25 years ago with a young non English speaking Mehmet followed by a very good English speaking Falcon! Ee them were t'days! The Sultans was very upmarket wasn't it. Loved the lighthouse too the food and presentation was so innovative not to mention the fab espresso! But the harem with cafer and latterly Mehmet , ahh it's just not the same without him on the prom is it?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 00:12:18 AM »
No it isn't - Mehmet going was a huge loss to the prom, such a good and charming man. I remember the night I met him, giving him a credit card to pay the bill - well that didn't go down well :D Mehmet just told me to relax, pay tomorrow. A man he had only just met, ate and drank (with his wife and kids) and he'll trust me to return tomorrow to pay for it?

As for Falcon he was the best - certainly the best front of house. We used to sit at the Harem or later the Bus Stop and watch the families and groups stroll down the prom, all the 'hunters' would approach and engage, but we used to say wait till they reach the Orient, Falcon will take them in. And he nearly always did.

People in recent times may find it difficult to believe that the Orient was once the place to be (I know I've written this before) but it really was. In Calis it was number 1 by miles. I guess the Turkish way of copying your competition did for them - in the end everyone had a similar offer to the Orient and their edge eroded. But also the prices went up and up and the meal sizes reduced, sometimes alarmingly. Interestingly, after Falcon left.

Offline George Warner

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 07:46:36 AM »
Liman on Koca Calis beach.Ramazan served good food and was a really good host,shame it only had a short life!

Tekins also on Koca Calis beach,more of a bar really,possibly the best host ever,often at his cost.

Offline Piscoe

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 09:23:52 AM »
The Harem is the place I miss the most without a doubt. Mehmet is a true gent and the food was to die for. Falcon too is someone I miss seeing on a regular basis.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 10:15:48 AM »
Anatolian - restaurant on the prom run by Ersin Gul. All the bills said it was The Change Office because the change of name wasn't registered. Ersin said the original name didn't work since people came in to change money but not to eat and drink. I didn't really believe him.

Offline CleopatrasAsp

• Irish by birth, Geordie by marriage!
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 10:50:56 AM »
For me it has to be Il Fiore Ristorante in Paspatur, great Italian food, beautifully presented.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf