Author Topic: Best Restaurants - No Longer With Us  (Read 5717 times)

Offline dycedon

Re: Best Restaurants - No Longer With Us
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 16:57:47 PM »
Il Fiore for me, best Italian by a long way, also Orient with George and all the crew

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 20:19:28 PM »
OMG colwyn, that's reminded me. Knew Ersin long before the change office which was a daft name! He was a waiter at the Mutlu, threw Moes Kenny in the pool! We celebrated our 10 th wedding anniversary in his place, 16 years ago! He's more recently popped up on Facebook. We could've been there at the same time, when it was there we used it as our base. As for il fiore got to agree it was very stylish, particularly the evening we were dinning and an Alsation ran in jumped in the fountain and did a lap of the pool! Hysterical

Offline Brianbern

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 06:13:35 AM »
The Albatross - run by Murat's brother Fuat - you were picked up at the Post Office & taken by pony & trap & returned in a pink Cadillac - our girls loved it & the food was good too! Also Murat's restaurant along at  klub Karia - past the Letoon - he was first to serve meals done in clay pots with delicious sauces!

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 19:27:14 PM »
And another memory! Albatross was very innovative in its day. Remember the transport in fact there's a photo on here somewhere. Friend and I in the trap , Shaun on the back and cowboy riding behind and the horse kept putting his head perilously close to Shaun's 'bits' , not laughed as much!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 19:38:18 PM »
The Albatross - run by Murat's brother Fuat - you were picked up at the Post Office & taken by pony & trap & returned in a pink Cadillac

Being picked up in Calis back then in a pink Cadillac - who's going to believe that!

Taken from the Topic "Old Calis Photos" - always worth another browse: http://www.calis-beach.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=23306.0

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 16:08:10 PM »
I still call it The Birlik in Koca Calis but it's something else now. Can't remember the name. Still go but it's not as good.

The Birlik was the first place we ever went for lunch and we were taken by our estate agent. I think it was a local haunt for a few of them at the time.

Dermus (spelling?) the owner was as dodgy as they come (in a nice way) and always looked after us. He even arranged deliveries for us in bad weather - a sort of Birlik takeaway  :)

He was also good for impromptu lira exchange and always gave us the same rate as the guy on the front.

What happened to the Far British Corner? I met a few Calisites in there but it didn'r last long at all.

The Lighthouse was excellent for many reasons.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 17:28:31 PM »
Our first meal in Turkey was at Susuz. We were taken there by Cenk from Interturk.. He introduced us to Pide... We went there several times that week as there were very few places open at the beginning of april. It was a great sun trap and the food was brilliant... I remember Emrah who worked there and came from Eskisehir.. He kept us amused the whole week...

Offline Clioman2

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2014, 16:53:13 PM »
talking about the Orient, don't forget George who took over the 'pulling-in' after Falcon moved on. A charming man who was there a number of years and then moved to England. He visited the Orient a couple of years ago and got a very good reception from lots of Brits...including us. Didn't see Falcon last year, he used to run the 'bookies' just off the main street. Maybe he's playing estate agent again.
Slightly off-topic, does anyone know what the man who collected the sunbed money for years is doing now? Still remember the greeting 'Welcome to Calis Beach' as his hand came out for the money; he probably thought he had a job for life!

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2014, 21:08:17 PM »
Remember George very well, he was working at the orient in 89 as the 'chicken boy' he used to thread the chicken on the rotisserie . Latterly we were neighbours as he lived by our complex. Lovely fella!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2014, 22:06:49 PM »
Yep a gent of Calis, a tough act to follow indeed from the legendary Falcon, but in his own way he did that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf