Author Topic: Big Let Down By Sundial  (Read 7390 times)

Offline BernieTeyze

Re: Big Let Down By Sundial
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 07:22:24 AM »
Aww thats so frustrating for you,we haven,t visited sundial.We have however had some great evenings with transport provided at kings garden,adanali hasan kolcieulu(spelt wrong),muzzys place in kya all making the journey to the back roads of Ovacik. Like I have said previously, with so many restaurants about willing and able to offer an excellent service, there,s no need to waste your time or money on the others that can,t be bothered.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 09:06:19 AM »
That is really appalling customer service...I had also read I think on Facebook that the sundial is charging to use the jacuzzi this year regardless as to whether you have spent money on food and drinks there!

Offline busybee

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 11:05:53 AM »
We were hoping to take our family to the Sundial.  Wanted to go around 2pm, so we could swim, enjoy the sunset and have an evening meal there.  We were informed that they do not to day time pick ups anymore.  This is fair enough if this is stated, not to mess folk around and say that they will be picked up, then not bother.  Its a faff in this heat, to wait around for 2 buses and walk up the hill, so we didn't bother. He has been charging to use the Jacuzzi for the last 3yrs.

Offline VOJOs

• Newly Registered
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 13:14:38 PM »
What on earth is happening to Fethiye/Calis? in the past month members are reading about poor service, extortionate prices. Saat restaurant, vojos, mancero, sundial. Bela mamas still serving a scoop of rice with a topiary shaped tomato and piece of cucumber, about 6 to 10 chips and a small bit of steak ,(this is my complaint by the way), are they really trying to drive people away for good?. :( :(

I think service in most places are just about same but what changing is peoples expectations.I wanted something different this year and thats why changed the chef we had last year. New chef was the head of a very posh boutique hotel in fethiye and worked in many ala carte restaurants. On our meetings I told him what i wanted ( no chips rice salad) great presentation of the food etc so  Early in January to promote him we done a 3 course lunch dinner for only 15 TL. We served either french onion soup or italian minestrone soup followed by stuffed chicken breast on a bed of sauted vegetables with chefs amazing lemon sauce and finished it off with dessert.  People who came all loved what we offered but quite afew said why was there no chips . That was it for me then.. I told the chef scrap all the plans and the new menu and just work on our old menu with most plates coming with chips rice and vegs. I think most just wants to see these three on the plate whether they eat them all or not.  So my plans of bringing fine dining to Calış is gone before even it started :(

p.s I dont know what others do but we serve %100 Local fillet steak and our portions are never less than 210gr per fillet. With the prices is getting as high as 65 lira a kilo and believe me you lucky if you get 3 good size steak out of every 1 and half kilo we feel we are lucky. If it was up to me ı wouldnt sell steaks because profit margin is not worth doing it

Offline mary62

• Growing old disgracefully.
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 14:02:29 PM »
]Quote from VoJos

p.s I dont know what others do but we serve %100 Local fillet steak and our portions are never less than 210gr per fillet. With the prices is getting as high as 65 lira a kilo and believe me you lucky if you get 3 good size steak out of every 1 and half kilo we feel we are lucky. If it was up to me ı wouldnt sell steaks because profit margin is not worth doing it
[/quote]

In the U.K. fillet steak prices range from £32.99-£42.99 per kilo (depending on the supermarkets/butchers) so it's a lot cheaper in Turkey..I also buy a piece that weighs 1.5KG. I cut it into good size pieces and the 'leftovers'are used to make a beef bourginon which goes into portions in the freezer.....so no waste. I don't think that you would waste good steak, so what do you do with the off cuts?

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2014, 15:40:24 PM »
I would use it for beef stroganoff .  ;)

Offline VOJOs

• Newly Registered
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2014, 18:08:32 PM »
]Quote from VoJos

In the U.K. fillet steak prices range from £32.99-£42.99 per kilo (depending on the supermarkets/butchers) so it's a lot cheaper in Turkey..I also buy a piece that weighs 1.5KG. I cut it into good size pieces and the 'leftovers'are used to make a beef bourginon which goes into portions in the freezer.....so no waste. I don't think that you would waste good steak, so what do you do with the off cuts?
[/quote]

Of course we dont bin the left overs but you cant sell them steak prices thou, we use them on other dishes which cost half as much as steak dishes.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 18:22:03 PM »
I always thought the seafront restaurants all had exactly the same menu as each other because none was brave enough to break away and risk a new range. Reading VOJOs reply above, I wonder if I was completely wrong - maybe it is the clientele that don't like change?

It's a real shame to read that new menus are met with comments like "where are the chips". Back to serving them, with the Calis staple partners, rice and salad. :(

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 19:05:16 PM »
I don't see why there can't be a choice - fresh veg for me most days, occasionally some proper chips would be nice or decent rice.  They are an accompaniment not the main dish so why stop doing the more adventurous main courses just because some people asked for chips - and why trial it out of season only? 
The food is fine in Calis generally - ok maybe pretty basic in a lot of places but that has to be an opportunity to offer better and different not throw up your hands in despair because someone asked for chips.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2014, 20:53:28 PM »
I want to know where the "local steak" comes from??  I have never seen any herds of cattle in the area.  I read on the net that 75% of all beef is imported into Turkey from Germany and Poland and the next percentage comes from China(cannot remember what that was).  As for the Turkish beef, lots of which seems to be raised in sheds, there is still foot and mouth disease in Turkey and also Lumpy Skin disease is now a problem.  80,000 Turkish Cattle have been vaccinated and the movement of cattle has been restricted. 

We enjoy the evening food in Vojo's but last year we had  lunchtime  salads that where full of chicken or tuna and served with long straw bread sticks.  We really loved them.  This year we ordered lunchtime salad and got a lot of lettuce and very little tuna for me and chicken for Phil.   We said at the time, there must be a new Chef. Last year we had many lunches in Vojo's this year we had one.   Still love the evening menu as I said.  So please Volcan, go back to last years salad please.

Re the pick ups from Restaurants.  I was discussing this with my daughter this evening and she asked me do the places that pick up have baby/child seats??   As in the U.K. people would not take their children anywhere in a vehicle without one. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf