Author Topic: Meals served on wooden boards  (Read 10717 times)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Meals served on wooden boards
« on: July 24, 2014, 22:11:05 PM »
Twice in recent weeks I have been served meals on wooden boards; both at places that some would consider to be "fine dining".

Personally I think it's disgusting! It's extremely unhygienic  :(

Wooden boards are banned in kitchens for preparation so why do restaurants think that it's ok for their customers to eat off a board that has been used by numerous other people. It's enough to put me off going back.

Offline Steve A

Re: Meals served on wooden boards
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 22:12:20 PM »
It's a trendy thing la plan a I think they call it

Offline Lotty

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 22:21:29 PM »
Actually Nichola they are apparently the most hygienic. My son in law is a GP and recommends wooden boards. His colleague is a microbiologist and says that they resist bacterial growth better than other things.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 22:34:47 PM »
hhhmmmm maybe I should have done some research before posting, however having now done that it seems to rest on wooden boards being cleaned properly...

"Wooden chopping boards do require special cleaning and maintenance to keep them in top condition.  Never put your wooden chopping board in the dishwasher as the water and the heat will cause the glues to deteriorate.  Hot water will also cause cracks to form in the board and these become the idea place for bacteria and odour to enter the wood.

Wooden chopping boards should be scrubbed after use with hot, soapy water, before rinsing them, wiping them off and allowing them to dry completely.  A paste of baking soda and water can clean and deodorise a wooden board, while bicarb soda and lemon juice is a fantastic way to remove stains and disinfect boards.  It is enough to physically scrub the board as wood has been proven to be naturally antibacterial.  Just make sure that nothing remains on them and that they are cleaned straight away.

The board should be oiled monthly using a neutral vegetable oil such as grape seed oil or olive oil.  This will keep the board in good condition.  Always replace boards that have visible cracks as the cracks retain both food and bacteria".

I wonder how likely that is - think I would still prefer a plate.

Offline JulieDiane

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 22:37:31 PM »
Jamie Olivers food was served on wooden boards, similar thoughts re hygiene did go through my mind!! Was very nice food mind you....   :)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 22:49:02 PM »
What an interesting topic  :)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 22:51:54 PM »
I am with NIchola on this one.  I don't want to eat off wooden boards either.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 23:38:53 PM »
I agree it can't be particularly hygienic, but my personal OCD on on the topic of crockerisational items in Turkey is plates made of copper/brass type materials. Serving bowls I can do, just, but I'm sure I can taste copper off the fancy dishes like the ones they serve in Megri Lokantasi. I like I white plate really, me.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 23:40:25 PM »
Actually Nichola they are apparently the most hygienic. My son in law is a GP and recommends wooden boards. His colleague is a microbiologist and says that they resist bacterial growth better than other things.
They're right, however the wooden board has to be the appropriate type of wood - i.e. close grained hardwood, for this to be true.

hhhmmmm maybe I should have done some research before posting, however having now done that it seems to rest on wooden boards being cleaned properly...
But then again, in general kitchen use (not for presentation of food) the same applies to plastic or synthetic boards, in fact to an even greater extent.  There is a piece of research carried out a few years ago at the University of California that states:

"Our research was first intended to develop means of disinfecting wooden cutting surfaces at home, so that they would be almost as safe as plastics. Our safety concern was that bacteria such as Escherichia coli O157:H7 and Salmonella, which might contaminate a work surface when raw meat was being prepared, ought not remain on the surface to contaminate other foods that might be eaten without further cooking. We soon found that disease bacteria such as these were not recoverable from wooden surfaces in a short time after they were applied, unless very large numbers were used. New plastic surfaces allowed the bacteria to persist, but were easily cleaned and disinfected. However, wooden boards that had been used and had many knife cuts acted almost the same as new wood, whereas plastic surfaces that were knife-scarred were impossible to clean and disinfect manually, especially when food residues such as chicken fat were present. Scanning electron micrographs revealed highly significant damage to plastic surfaces from knife cuts.

Although the bacteria that have disappeared from the wood surfaces are found alive inside the wood for some time after application, they evidently do not multiply, and they gradually die. They can be detected only by splitting or gouging the wood or by forcing water completely through from one surface to the other. If a sharp knife is used to cut into the work surfaces after used plastic or wood has been contaminated with bacteria and cleaned manually, more bacteria are recovered from a used plastic surface than from a used wood surface.
"

So, in a nutshell, using a wooden board in the kitchen is actually better than a well used plastic or synthetic board.

As regards serving food on a wooden board - taking to one side the aesthetics, as long as it cleaned properly you are no more likely to contract salmonella or e-coli than of a ceramic plate.  Personally, I hate them - pretentious and at times awkward to cut food on - but safe nonetheless (as long as cleaned properly).

I think you can tell I've had this discussion before...

JF

Edit: source for above http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 23:42:23 PM »

So, in a nutshell

Yes but how many meals would fit

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf