Author Topic: Who knew a shop in Paspatur had Auctions? Interesting Article.  (Read 4402 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
5 Ways to spend 100's in Paspatur.
This is an interesting piece about spending money in Paspatur.  I never knew that the shop called "Unique" had Auctions.  It is a lovely shop, but expensive.  The have a branch under the Shine Restauant in Hisaronu now.
http://www.fethiyetimes.com/turkish-lira/15716-top-five-ways-to-spend-100-in-paspatur.html

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Who knew a shop in Paspatur had Auctions? Interesting Article.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 09:23:49 AM »
Unique have been holding auctions in Paspatur for about 8 years now. Cem the owner has always had a shop on the main drag in Hisaronu called Unique Anatolian Antiques and also had one on the main road in Ovacik for a couple of seasons.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 09:37:06 AM »
When we went into the shop in Hisaronu in June.  The guy there said they had just opened.
Anyway, have you been to any of the Auctions, if so, any bargains? 

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 10:30:49 AM »
We went a couple of times in the early days, because they were by invitation only and found them to be very expensive. Cem had set the reserves pretty high. In fact they were pretty much the same as the shop prices.

Mrs KKOB and I had known Cem for a couple of years previous to the auctions and she'd done some design work on his displays and artwork for the shops so we had an insight into what he was paying for a lot of the goods in the shops. His mark-up varies between 300% on jewellery and small items and 1000% on genuine Anatolian decorative pieces.

The actual auctions were a bit tame. Nothing like the kind of atmosphere you get in the weekly auctions around the UK. I was going to offer my services as auctioneer but was a bit concerned about the work permit situation.

We haven't attended one for several years so can't comment on what they're like now.

As for the shop in Hisaronu. He probably either meant it had just opened for the season or it's moved location. It used to be on the right-hand side about 5 or 6 shops past Star Optics.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 10:49:26 AM »
Just to clear this up Unique, Anatolian Arts moved premises and is now underneath Shine restaurant - as KKOB says Cem has had a shop in Hissy for many, many years - the new shop is much bigger. Cem and I buy from many of the same wholesalers    :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 10:58:46 AM »
Isn't it a bit risky buying antiques and taking them out of the country?

Offline lizdev

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 11:03:05 AM »
First bought from this shop in Hisaronu in 2001 and since in the Paspatur.  New about the auctions but thought they are mostly in the winter months

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 11:17:48 AM »
Isn't it a bit risky buying antiques and taking them out of the country?

The law is a bit vague. We've been told that it refers mostly to antiquities which are over 250 years old rather than "antiques". We brought a couple of very old traditional headdresses, that we bought from Cem,  home to the UK and when they were shown to Turkish Customs they said that there wasn't a problem with exporting them.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 12:29:25 PM »
In the U.K. an Antique is anything 100 years old and older.  This is why a lot of businesses advertise the fact they sell Antiques and Collectables as if they did say just "Antiques"  they could be prosecuted if the sold anything under 100 years old as an Antique.   I know many Antiques leave the U.K. for abroad with no problems. There are some exceptions, such as pianos with ivory keys and any ivory made after 1947. 
I did think some countries such as Turkey would be more strict with exporting antiques.
I have no idea about Turkish Antiques, but did ask a Turkish friend about Turkish Antiques and he said they were rare in the shops and lots of "Antiques" are reproductions.   I know that some of the carpets could be over 100 years old and they are exported all the time.   
I also think Turkish Antiques could be bought in the U.K. Auctions cheaper than in Turkey. I have seen some lovely vases, bowls and plates.  I am often tempted to buy and bring them back to our place in Calis.

Offline Fran

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 13:10:17 PM »
I went to one of the auction a few years ago, bought a couple of items at quite reasonable prices. They are mostly in the winter months.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf