Author Topic: Thomas Cook  (Read 6877 times)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Thomas Cook
« on: February 15, 2016, 08:36:14 AM »

It's reported today that Thomas Cook has pulled almost  1 million flights from Turkey, almost one third of it's Turkish capacity.
 Will others follow.?    :(

Offline patrice

Re: Thomas Cook
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 10:41:13 AM »
Lets hope not I. Yesterday I booked flights with Monarch for later in the year when selecting seating there were only 10 seats allocated.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 10:57:24 AM »
If the same thing happens with Monarch that is happening to the "big two" then it may be worth having a plan b.  This was in the Independent on Friday, nothing really new but confirms what Kevin posted:

However, Thomas Cook expects sales to Turkey to fall by almost 30 per cent this summer, after the terrorist attack in Istanbul last month led to a sharp drop in bookings. Turkey usually attracts around  a fifth of Thomas Cook’s customers and the company has cut capacity accordingly, even though it said that there were already signs of bookings recovering.

Its rival Tui Group reported a 40 per cent fall in bookings to Turkey earlier this week and said tourists were shifting to Spain, the Canary Islands and Greece.

JF

Offline DonM

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 15:56:55 PM »
Lets hope not I. Yesterday I booked flights with Monarch for later in the year when selecting seating there were only 10 seats allocated.
There were only six PAX on our Monarch flight when flew Gatwick to Dalaman on the 30th October last year. It was full on the return flight though.

Offline Somerset Simon

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 16:47:30 PM »
Just checked the different flights booked across the family using TCA, and although no notification received from TCA yet, the Brıstol Saturday evening flight has gone and looks like the bookings will be moved to the Friday afternoon. So probably better than I feared as 3 of the previous 4 weekly TC flights remain at the moment!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 22:09:16 PM »
I can't see how the terrorist attack has caused a 30 or 40% drop in bookings. The HSBC/British Consulate bombings of 2003 were more widely reported in the UK (due to the target I guess) and the season remained strong.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 22:13:46 PM »
TCA are still sending me offers from Glasgow to Dalaman by email.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 22:24:00 PM by Highlander »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 22:20:00 PM »
They must like what you offer  ;)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 22:20:38 PM »
The HSBC/British Consulate bombings of 2003 were more widely reported in the UK (due to the target I guess) and the season remained strong.

They happened in the November of 2003 and there was a definite downturn in tourism in the following months.  I can specifically remember being in the Grand Bazaar in February 2004 - it was like a ghost town.  It may not have affected the 2004 season down south but Istanbul suffered a distinct drop in tourists that Spring.

JF

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 22:21:58 PM »
Agreed, so why is it affecting "down south" this time?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf