Author Topic: Snapshots of Turkey  (Read 5778 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Snapshots of Turkey
« on: July 01, 2016, 14:28:58 PM »
Just a few views of Turkey from our recent visit that I'll post as I process them.

Two Sides of Turkey

The first side is one I really like for two reasons. First, mussels stuffed with rice, with a touch of chiil pul to give a slight warmth and squirted with lemon are a delight - 10TL for 10 large mussels, brilliant. Second, eating them sitting in one of the restaurant on the promenade which all have an extensive menu but they don't mind you buying your mussels from a street seller. Indeed a  waiter will call him over from the prom and then clear away with remains - happy that everyone should make a living.

The second side is one a really detest - as I do in the UK. It is the thoughtless and selfish dropping of litter all over the place and particularly in beauty spots where people have picnicked. Here are bottles and cans dumped by the side of a jetty from returning round-the-bay pleasure boats so that the next storm can wash them all into the sea despoiling the bay from which the boats make a living.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Snapshots of Turkey
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 14:44:20 PM »
Fish Glorious Fish

At a street-side fish restaurant. Can you spot the spelling mistake on the A-board?

But, however they spell it, it was a lovely sea bream accompanied by the compulsory rakı. Meal less than £6 at prices on the day plus about £3.80 for the rakı. On another day we went back for a hamsi tava - even though I suspect it was out of season it was still nice.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 14:53:57 PM »
Oops ignore the raki price I remembered the size not the price!

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 15:33:21 PM »
Origami

Can't let flies get into the red wine.

Preparing the evening's birthday party.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 15:53:08 PM »
Blues

When in Turkey I like things Turkish. I want to eat Turkish food: I don't want imitation Indian, Chinese or Italian - there's plenty of that in the UK. Same with Full English Breakfasts and Sunday Roasts. I like to drink Turkish drinks, not imported stuff. However ... there is an exception to this Turkish rule. I know a gay bar that plays the blues. By gay bar I mean that the landlord and many (not all) of the staff are gay or lesbian, not that the customers have to be; by blues I mean ancient and modern and they have the biggest collection I have ever come across - there is a vast library. On Fridays there is live music. Here is the Oz Band; two guitars, saxophone, trombone and singer.

The bar sign and the waiters tee-shirt logos show an interesting dog. I asked what is was and was told "It is a Blues Dog". Fine but the next day I was still concerned about why the Blues Dog appeared to be tipping his beer away. Nobody there spoke English except for one chap who said: "I only started work today" apologized and hurried away. It was busy so I didn't pursue it. Later when it was quiet I asked again (with sign language) and due to the wonders of the smart-arse phone I was shown it was "foam". So the Blues Dog was pouring excess head of his pint. Fine. I think I'll adopt him as my avatar.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 18:08:31 PM »
Oh dear, I have another apology to make. When I said there was a spelling mistake - there wasn't. I thought it should have been çupra for sea bream but çipura means gilt head bream. Serves me right for being a smart arse.

Offline sadler

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 20:20:57 PM »
Not that I would have had the slightest clue. Respect Colwyn.   :) :D ;D  :)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 13:02:08 PM »
Traffic Calming Scheme

A sleeping police rope.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 13:15:24 PM »
Lovely pics Colwyn. 
Love the explanation of the dog pic  :)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 14:36:36 PM »
I've done a Google Image search of the dog cartoon and, as far as I can see, it is an original. Plenty of artists around the village (it is like a Turkish St Ives!) and the bar has perhaps commissioned one. It has gone up even further in my estimation.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf