Author Topic: 2017 Season looking dire  (Read 34958 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: 2017 Season looking dire
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2017, 09:08:22 AM »
Calis is not busy at the moment.  Restaurant and prom last night at 9.30pm where vey quiet. We were in Bella Mamas at 9.30pm and there were only 3 tables of people.  At 10.30pm shops where closing. However it is early in the season.  Hopefully it wil pick up when the kids are on holiday.   We have spoken to a few restaurant owners who told us that even though the planes are full, they are not all coming to Calis.   One owner told us that the Jiva Beach IS. full and the vistors walk passed his restaurant, when he tell them to look at the menu they show him their wrist bands.

We spoke to Edi from the Silver Shop.  He said business is not good and was bad last year too.  We suggested it could get better as the season had just started.  He told us he had to find £8.000 a year rent.

I was really disappointed to see that clothes shop just up from the Meeting Point had gone. They always used to put a block colour of dresses outside.  One day blue, one day pink etc.,  It was a lovely shop.  I bought a few things in there.  I was planning to buy more this year.

Adem is still around, again, he said business was not good.  The Flower Man Willie Thorne just sits outside Dawn Beach now.  He greeted us like long lost relatives, even kisses for Phil.  His flowers are now 15TL A bunch and still a bargain.  I filled two vases with them.   Did not see the Gypsy woman. Or Hassan the Video Guy and no sign of the Deaf & Dumb people.   The guys that sell all the light up toys have not arrived yet either.

Spoke to a lovely Turkish couple running a stall in the Market yesterday,  Phil was buying a couple of polo shirts.   They said they had had a shop in Fethiye, but last year had to give it up as visitor numbers where down.  They just do the markets now.  We then spoke to a guy that sold Sunglasses etc., he also said he could not afford a shop anymore.   The Market was busy with fruit and veg etc., but the clothing, bag side was very quiet. 

Kursat at Safir  has taken on one more member of staff to do the polishing,  so he seems to be doing O.K. Did a lovely job of on my Grandmother's old gold bracelet, thickening  up the fastener which is a little heart.  Really put a good thickness of gold on it and cleaned it like new.  All for 25TL.

We were saying that Calis and Fethiye need publicity, everyone knows about Marmaris, Bodrum, Side. However, when we tell people in the U.K where we are going, no one has heard of Fethiye or Calis.   We have explained this to the business owners, some are very surprised that Calis is not know in the U.K.  I think it is time for some Marketing.

Offline Ally B

« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2017, 10:13:44 AM »
Just starting into the 3rd week of our holiday, I thought the first week was busier than last year but Mrs B disagrees with me (now there's a surprise) But last week was quieter. We are next door to the Letoon and they were fairly busy at the weekend but it was all Turkish people. They have all gone now and it looks deserted.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2017, 10:22:12 AM »
There must be lots of places like Calis/Fethiye in various countries that do very well from tourism by the very fact that they are not heavily advertised.

Just look how Fethiye has been transformed over the last few years.

We like Calis for what it is and if we wanted what Marmaris offered we would go there.

Selfishly, I don't want the area to have huge amounts of tourist. I'm happy for them to go to Marmaris.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2017, 10:50:00 AM »
Oludeniz is mentioned and there's a picture of the lagoon in an article in the Daily Fail today but they're pushing holidays in the whole Eastern Med.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-4439872/Why-holiday-eastern-Med.html

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2017, 11:00:49 AM »
There must be lots of places like Calis/Fethiye in various countries that do very well from tourism by the very fact that they are not heavily advertised.

Just look how Fethiye has been transformed over the last few years.

We like Calis for what it is and if we wanted what Marmaris offered we would go there.

Selfishly, I don't want the area to have huge amounts of tourist. I'm happy for them to go to Marmaris.

I agree, I do not want Calis to be Marmaris, but I think Calis wil always be a quieter families and couples resort. However, we cannot ignore it when businesses are complaining and worrying about lack of customer and we are now seeing businesses closing.   Advertising would not change Calis it would just bring much needed tourists.
Calis is not over advertised, it is not advertised at all,  which is why everyone we speak to in the U.K has never heard of it.  Couples and Families would love Calis, if they got the chance to hear about it.

Offline Christie

« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2017, 11:06:50 AM »
Its a shame the clothes shop has gone, they always had really good colour displays and nice clothes.   Guess we will have to start eating earlier in the restaurants when we are over there.  We prefer to eat 9.30/10pm but found the last time we were there the restaurants were almost empty at that time.   

Offline strange

• Newly Registered
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2017, 11:48:56 AM »
In addition to the comment from KKOB regarding the Daily Fail, the one in the Daily Mirror this morning specifies the resort as Marmaris, but has a picture of Olu Deniz to go with it.

Offline George Warner

« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2017, 15:54:35 PM »
Its a shame the clothes shop has gone, they always had really good colour displays and nice clothes.   Guess we will have to start eating earlier in the restaurants when we are over there.  We prefer to eat 9.30/10pm but found the last time we were there the restaurants were almost empty at that time.

The owner of the clothes shop has another shop in Fethiye,In the street where the Cinema is,in fact almost opposite in on a corner, he told us that this year he could not afford to keep the Calis shop open and that he did like the comments about his very colourful displays

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2017, 16:20:41 PM »

The owner of the clothes shop has another shop in Fethiye,In the street where the Cinema is,in fact almost opposite in on a corner, he told us that this year he could not afford to keep the Calis shop open and that he did like the comments about his very colourful displays

Thanks George, his dresses are ideal for holiday packing as they are so light and so crease proof.  Will pop over for a look.  Any idea of the name of the shop?  However, I am sure I will see the display outside.  I remember my Sister in Law buying a dress from him and he had it altered for her for free.  Nice guy.  Calis will miss his shop.

Offline warby21

• Newly Registered
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2017, 19:19:46 PM »
In addition to the comment from KKOB regarding the Daily Fail, the one in the Daily Mirror this morning specifies the resort as Marmaris, but has a picture of Olu Deniz to go with it.

Saw this on Facebook need more articles like this.. Link below

https://www.facebook.com/gocekturkey/photos/a.537930159719474.1073741828.537660716413085/731283647050790/?type=3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf